(a-1) The Mayor may delay issuance of an operator's permit by disqualifying anyone not already in possession of a valid operator's permit when such individual is convicted of or adjudicated delinquent as a result of:
(1) The commission of a stolen vehicle offense;
(3) Operating a motor vehicle after revocation or suspension of an operator's permit ( § 50-1403.01 );
(4) Any felony in the commission of which a motor vehicle is involved; or
(5) The operation of a motor vehicle under the influence of any substance the possession of which is prohibited under the Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act of 1970, approved October 27, 1970 (84 Stat. 1236; 21 U.S.C. § 801 et seq. ), Chapter 9 of Title 48, or the law of any state, territory, or possession of the United States.
(a-2) In all cases where a person is convicted or adjudicated delinquent of any of the offenses set forth in subsection (a-1) of this section, the disqualification period shall commence on the later of:
(1) The date of conviction or adjudication if the person is imprisoned or legal custody of the person has been transferred to a public agency for care of delinquent children as a result of the conviction or adjudication;
(2) The person's 16th birthday if the conviction or adjudication occurs before the person is 16 years of age; or
(3) The date that a person over 16 years of age becomes eligible to have driving privileges restored if such privileges have previously been revoked or suspended.
(a-3) The disqualification period referenced in subsection(a-2) of this section shall, for any offense set forth in subsection (a-1) of this section, be:
(1) Six months for a first time violation of any offense set forth in subsection (a-1) of this section;
(2) One year for a second violation; or
(3) Two years for each subsequent violation.
(a-4) A copy of the conviction or adjudication shall be forwarded by the court to the Mayor, along with the offender's social security number or operator's permit number, together with a copy of the operator's permit.
(b) For the purposes of this section, the term:
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - District of Columbia Code Division VIII. General Laws. § 50-1403.02. Delayed issuance of motor vehicle operator's permit - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/dc/division-viii-general-laws/dc-code-sect-50-1403-02.html
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.