Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
As used in this chapter, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
(1) The term “cigar” means any roll for smoking, other than a cigarette, where both the roll and wrapper or cover of the roll are composed entirely of tobacco.
(1A) The term “cigarette” means:
(A) Any roll for smoking containing tobacco wrapped in paper or in any substance other than tobacco leaf;
(B) Any roll for smoking containing tobacco, wrapped in any substance, weighing 4 pounds per thousand or less, except those wrapped entirely in whole tobacco leaf that do not have a filter; or
(C) Any roll for smoking containing tobacco wrapped in any substance, however labeled or named, flavored or not, which because of its appearance, size, the type of tobacco used in the filler, or its packaging, pricing, marketing, or labeling, is likely to be offered to, purchased by, or consumed by consumers as a cigarette as described in this paragraph.
(2) The term “consumer” means any person who manufactures or possesses cigarettes or other tobacco products for his own consumption or for transfer, without consideration, to another consumer, but not for transfer to other persons or for transfer with consideration.
(3) The term “District” means the District of Columbia.
(3A) The term “importer” means “importer” as the term is defined in section 5702(l) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 , approved October 22, 1986 (68A Stat. 707; 26 U.S.C. § 5702 (1) ).
(3B) The term “manufacturer” means “manufacturer of tobacco products” as the term is defined in section 5702(d) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 , approved October 22, 1986 (68A Stat. 707; 26 U.S.C. § 5702 (d) ).
(4) The term “Mayor” means the Mayor of the District of Columbia or his authorized representatives.
(5) The term “original package” means a sealed package into which cigarettes or other tobacco products are put up by the manufacturer for sale to consumers; provided, that if the package contains smaller-size packages that are also intended by the manufacturer for sale to consumers, only the smallest-size sealed package intended for sale to consumers shall be considered the original package.
(5A) The term “other tobacco product” means any product containing, made from, or derived from tobacco, other than a cigarette or premium cigar, that is intended or expected to be consumed. The term “other tobacco product” includes vapor products, as defined in paragraph (9A) of this section, but does not include any product that has been approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration for sale as a tobacco cessation product, as a tobacco dependence product, or for other medical purposes, and that is being marketed and sold solely for such an approved purpose.
(5B) The term “package” means “package” as the term is defined in section 3(4) of the Federal Cigarette Labeling and Advertising Act, approved July 27, 1965 (79 Stat. 282; 15 U.S.C. § 1332(4) ).
(6) The term “person” means any individual, partnership, society, club, association, joint-stock company, corporation, estate, receiver, trustee, assignee, referee, and any person acting in a fiduciary or representative capacity, whether appointed by a court or otherwise; any combination of individuals or entities acting as a unit, or any officer or employee of a corporation or member or employee of a partnership, who as such officer, employee, or member is under a duty to perform the act in respect to which the violation occurs.
(7) The term “possession” includes actual or constructive possession, having legal title or an equitable interest which entitles a person to such possession, and the exercise of any right or power incident to such ownership or possession.
(7A) The term “premium cigar” means any cigar with a retail cost of $ 2.00 or more, or packaged units of cigars averaging $ 2.00 or more per packaged cigar at retail.
(8) The term “sell” or “sale” means any transaction where title or possession, or both, of cigarettes or other tobacco products is, or is to be, transferred in any manner or by any means whatsoever, whether with or without consideration. The word “sell” or “sale” includes offering for sale, keeping for sale, or displaying for sale.
(9) The term “stamp” means any fusion decal stamps, impressions made by metering devices, or other indicia authorized by the Mayor as evidence that the tax levied and imposed by this chapter has been paid.
(9A) The term “vapor product” means:
(A) Any non-lighting, noncombustible product that employs a mechanical heating element, battery, or electronic circuit, regardless of shape or size, that can be used to produce aerosol from nicotine in a solution; or
(B) Any vapor cartridge or other container of nicotine in a solution or other form that is intended to be used with or in an electronic cigarette, electronic cigar, electronic cigarillo, electronic pipe, or similar product or device.
(10) The term “vending machine” means any automated, self-service device that dispenses cigarettes or other tobacco products upon insertion of money, tokens, or any other form of payment.
(11) The term “wholesale price” means the price for which a licensed wholesaler sells other tobacco products. The wholesale price includes the applicable federal excise tax, freight charges, or packaging costs, regardless of whether they were included in the purchase price, but excludes any discount, trade allowance, rebate, or other reduction.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - District of Columbia Code Division VIII. General Laws. § 47-2401. Definitions. - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/dc/division-viii-general-laws/dc-code-sect-47-2401.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.