Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
For the purposes of this subchapter, the term:
(1) “Consumer” means an individual who resides in the District of Columbia.
(2) “Credit report” means information maintained by a credit reporting agency bearing on a consumer's creditworthiness, credit standing, credit capacity, character, general reputation, personal characteristics, or mode of living, which is used or expected to be used or collected in whole or in part for:
(A) Serving as a factor in establishing the consumer's eligibility for credit or insurance to be used primarily for personal, family, or household purposes;
(B) Employment purposes; or
(C) Any other purpose authorized under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, approved October 26, 1970 (84 Stat. 1127; 15 U.S.C. § 1681b ).
(3) “Credit reporting agency” means any person who, for consideration, dues, or on a cooperative nonprofit basis, regularly engages in whole or in part in the practice of maintaining consumers' credit information for the purpose of furnishing the information to third parties.
(4) “Proper identification” means information generally considered sufficient to identify a person. Additional information concerning the consumer's employment and personal or family history shall not be included within the term “proper identification” unless the consumer is unable to reasonably identify himself or herself with other information generally considered sufficient.
(5) “Security freeze” or “freeze” means a restriction, at the request of the consumer and subject to certain exceptions, that prohibits the credit reporting agency from releasing all or any part of a credit report or any information derived from it without the express authorization of the consumer.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - District of Columbia Code Division V. Local Business Affairs § 28-3861. Definitions. - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/dc/division-v-local-business-affairs/dc-code-sect-28-3861.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.