District of Columbia Code Division II. Judiciary and Judicial Procedure § 12-301. Limitation of time for bringing actions.

Except as otherwise specifically provided by law, actions for the following purposes may not be brought after the expiration of the period specified below from the time the right to maintain the action accrues:

(1) for the recovery of lands, tenements, or hereditaments -- 15 years;

(2) for the recovery of personal property or damages for its unlawful detention -- 3 years;

(3) for the recovery of damages for an injury to real or personal property -- 3 years;

(4) for libel, slander, assault, battery, mayhem, wounding, malicious prosecution, false arrest or false imprisonment -- 1 year;

(5) for a statutory penalty or forfeiture -- 1 year;

(6) on an executor's or administrator's bond -- 5 years;  on any other bond or single bill, covenant, or other instrument under seal -- 12 years;

(7) on a simple contract, express or implied -- 3 years;

(8) for which a limitation is not otherwise specially prescribed -- 3 years;

(9) for a violation of § 7-1201.01(11) - 1 year;

(10) for the recovery of damages for an injury to real property from toxic substances including products containing asbestos -- 5 years from the date the injury is discovered or with reasonable diligence should have been discovered;

(11) for the recovery of damages arising out of sexual abuse that occurred while the victim was a minor -- 7 years from the date that the victim attains the age of 18, or 3 years from when the victim knew, or reasonably should have known, of any act constituting abuse, whichever is later.

This section does not apply to actions for breach or contracts for sale governed by § 28:2-725 , nor to actions brought by the District of Columbia government.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.