District of Columbia Code Division I. Government of District. § 8-111.01. Definitions.
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search District of Columbia Code
Search by Keyword or Citation
For purposes of this subchapter, the term:
(1) “Asbestos” means any material that contains more than 1% by weight of an asbestiform variety of serpentinite or chrysotile, riebackite or crocidolite, cummingtanite, grunerite, anthophyllite, or tremolite.
(2) “Asbestos abatement” means the removal, encapsulation, enclosure, disposal, or transportation of asbestos or material that contains asbestos.
(3) “Business entity” means a partnership, firm, association, corporation, or sole proprietorship that is engaged in asbestos abatement.
(4) “Asbestos worker” means a person who is engaged in asbestos abatement.
(5) “Demolition” means to wreck or remove a load-supporting structural member of a facility or handling operation.
(6) “Encapsulate” means to coat, bind, or resurface a wall, ceiling, pipe, or other structure to prevent friable asbestos or material that contains asbestos from becoming airborne.
(7) “Friable asbestos material” means any material that can be crumbled, pulverized, reduced to powder by hand pressure, or that emits or can be expected to emit fibers into the air under normal use or maintenance.
(8) “Mayor” means the Mayor of the District of Columbia.
(9) “Person” means an individual or nonbusiness entity, including a District of Columbia (“District”) government employee.
(10) “Structural member” means a load-supporting member, including a beam or load-supporting wall, or any non-supporting member, including a ceiling or nonload-supporting wall.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - District of Columbia Code Division I. Government of District. § 8-111.01. Definitions. - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/dc/division-i-government-of-district/dc-code-sect-8-111-01.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?