District of Columbia Code Division I. Government of District. § 8-1041.05. Manufacturer responsibilities.
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search District of Columbia Code
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) Beginning January 1, 2017, and annually thereafter, a manufacturer shall either:
(1) Collect and recycle or arrange for the collection and recycling or reuse of the manufacturer's minimum collection share of covered electronic equipment as established under subsection (b) of this section;
(2) Join a partnership of manufacturers to jointly collect or arrange for the collection and recycling or reuse of the sum of each member manufacturer's minimum collection share of covered electronic equipment as established under subsection (b) of this section; or
(3) Join a representative organization created by manufacturers to establish a convenient collection service for District residents, small nonprofit organizations, and small businesses that consists of, at a minimum:
(A) One permanent publicly accessible collection site in each ward of the District; provided, that, in a ward where there is no feasible location for a permanent collection facility, a collection event made available on a quarterly basis shall fulfill this requirement;
(B) Public outreach and awareness activities to District residents through the representative organization's website and other means to ensure that District residents are aware of the availability and location of collection sites and events; and
(C) Acceptance and recycling or arranging for the recycling or reuse of all covered electronic equipment brought to the sites by covered entities free of charge.
(b)(1) A manufacturer's minimum collection share for covered electronic equipment under subsection (a)(1) of this section shall be:
(B) In 2017, 40% of the average annual sales of the manufacturer's covered electronic equipment in the District, reported by weight, during the previous reporting year;
(C) In 2018, 50% of the average annual sales of the manufacturer's covered electronic equipment in the District, reported by weight, during the previous 2 reporting years;
(D) In 2019 and beyond, 80% of the average annual sales of the manufacturer's electronic equipment in the District, reported by weight, during the previous 3 reporting years; or
(E) An amount calculated by a formula established by the Mayor through rulemaking; provided, that the sum of all manufacturer minimum collection shares under the formula, if manufacturers required to comply with this chapter met their minimum collection share, shall equal at least 60% of the total weight of covered electronic equipment that the Mayor estimates was generated by District residents and businesses in the previous reporting year.
(2) For the purposes of calculating a manufacturer or partnership's achievement of its minimum collection share as set forth in subsection (b) of this section, the manufacturer or partnership may count the collection of a single item of covered electronic equipment as twice its weight when that item is donated free of charge for reuse to the District's public or charter schools, to public or charter schools in counties adjoining the District, or to any nonprofit organization with a principal mission of assisting low-income children or families. To qualify for this credit, the covered electronic equipment must be no more than 3 years old, in full working condition, and accepted in writing by the recipient as a donation.
(3) The Mayor may grant a one-year waiver, in whole or in part, from the minimum collection standards, where a manufacturer not participating in a partnership or representative organization has demonstrated that the standard could not be met despite best efforts because the manufacturer has substantially increased the amount of covered electronic equipment sold within the District over the 3-year period during which compliance with the minimum collection standard is to be calculated.
(d) Beginning January 1, 2017, a manufacturer shall accept, on a one-to-one basis with the purchase of the same type of covered electronic equipment, covered electronic equipment that is offered for return by a person in the District.
(e) Beginning January 1, 2018, a manufacturer or retailer shall provide at the point of sale information on how a person can return purchased covered electronic equipment for recycling.
(f) A manufacturer, partnership, or representative organization shall not be liable for damages arising from information stored on covered electronic equipment collected from the manufacturer's, partnership's, or representative organization's recovery programs that comply with this chapter.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - District of Columbia Code Division I. Government of District. § 8-1041.05. Manufacturer responsibilities. - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/dc/division-i-government-of-district/dc-code-sect-8-1041-05.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?