Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) There is established the Youth Council of the District of Columbia.
(b) The Youth Council members shall advise the Council of the District of Columbia (“Council”) by:
(1) Commenting upon legislation and policies that impact on youth;
(2) Presenting issues and recommendations to improve the lives of youth;
(3) Monitoring the programs and policies that affect youth to ensure that they are achieving the intended results; and
(4) Working with other youth organizations in the District to:
(A) Provide mutual support;
(B) Collaborate on shared issues and interests;
(C) Advise one another on ways to increase the effectiveness of their organizations;
(D) Assist in the start-up of new youth organizations, including youth organizations for each ward of the District;
(E) Prepare youth for leadership positions by providing appropriate training; and
(F) Create more youth and adult partnerships.
(c) The Youth Council shall conduct periodic seminars for members regarding leadership, government, and the Council.
(d)(1) The Youth Council shall:
(A) Set its own priorities;
(B) Determine the function of its subcommittees;
(C) Establish standards of conduct;
(D) Establish ministerial procedures; and
(E) Determine its needs for the convening of meetings.
(2) Youth Council members shall review and consider the procedures and rules of the Council, as they may be appropriate for the Youth Council.
(e) Beginning one year after its first meeting and every year thereafter, the Youth Council shall publish a report of its activities, recommendations, and accomplishments, which shall be:
(1) Distributed to the Council;
(2) Placed on the Internet;
(3) Distributed to each public library, and the library of each public and public charter school; and
(4) Made available to the public upon request.
(f) The Youth Council shall meet at least 4 times a year, including at least one public hearing on issues of importance to youth.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - District of Columbia Code Division I. Government of District. § 2-1565.02. Establishment and duties. - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/dc/division-i-government-of-district/dc-code-sect-2-1565-02.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?