District of Columbia Code Division I. Government of District. § 1-612.01. Hours of work.
Search District of Columbia Code
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) A basic administrative workweek of 40 hours is established for each full-time employee and the hours of work within that workweek shall be performed within a period of not more than 6 of any 7 consecutive days; except, that:
(1) The basic workweek for uniformed members of the Firefighting Division of the District of Columbia Fire Department shall not exceed 48 hours and the Division shall operate under a 2-shift system with all hours of duty of either shift being consecutive; and
(2) The basic workweek, hours of work, and tour of duty for all employees of the Board of Education and the Board of Trustees of the University of the District of Columbia shall be established under rules and regulations issued by the respective Boards; provided, that the basic work scheduling for all employees in recognized collective bargaining units to these established tours of duty shall be subject to collective bargaining, and collective bargaining provisions related to scheduling shall take precedence over conflicting provisions of this subchapter.
(b) Except when the Mayor determines that an organization would be seriously handicapped in carrying out its functions or that costs would be substantially increased, tours of duty shall be established to provide, with respect to each employee in an organization, that:
(1) Assignments to tours of duty are scheduled in advance over periods of not less than 1 week;
(2) The basic 40 hour workweek is scheduled on 5 days, Monday through Friday when practicable, and the 2 days outside the basic workweek are consecutive;
(3) The working hours in each day in the basic workweek are the same;
(4) Overtime shall be paid in accordance with Title XVII and the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938, approved June 25, 1938 (52 Stat. 1060; 29 U.S.C. § 201 et seq.);
(5) The occurrence of holidays may not affect the designation of the basic workweek; and
(6) Breaks in working hours of more than 1 hour may not be scheduled in a basic workday except under rules and regulations on flexible work schedules as provided in subsection (e) of this section.
(c) Special tours of duty, of not less than 40 hours, may be established to enable employees to take courses in nearby colleges, universities or other educational institutions that will equip them for more effective work in the District government. Premium pay may not be paid to an employee solely because his or her special tour of duty results in his or her working on a day or at a time of day for which premium pay is otherwise authorized.
(d) To the maximum extent practicable, time to be spent by an employee in a travel status away from his or her official duty station shall be scheduled within the regularly scheduled workweek of the employee.
(e) The Mayor shall issue rules and regulations governing hours of work. Such rules and regulations shall provide for the use of flexible work schedules within the 40 hour workweek when such schedules are considered both practicable and feasible.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - District of Columbia Code Division I. Government of District. § 1-612.01. Hours of work. - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/dc/division-i-government-of-district/dc-code-sect-1-612-01.html
Was this helpful?