Connecticut General Statutes Title 52. Civil Actions § 52-572j. Derivative actions by shareholders or members

(a) Whenever any corporation or any unincorporated association fails to enforce a right which may properly be asserted by it, a derivative action may be brought by one or more shareholders or members to enforce the right, provided the shareholder or member was a shareholder or member at the time of the transaction of which he complained or his membership thereafter devolved on him by operation of law.  The action shall be commenced by a complaint returnable to the superior court for the judicial district in which an office of the corporation or association is located.  The derivative action may not be maintained if it appears that the plaintiff does not fairly and adequately represent the interests of the shareholders or members similarly situated in enforcing the right of the corporation or association.  The action shall not be dismissed or compromised without the approval of the court, and notice of the proposed dismissal or compromise shall be given to shareholders or members in such manner as the court directs.

(b) In any action brought pursuant to this section, process shall be served on the corporation or association as in other civil actions, and notice of the service of process after its having been served shall be given to the board of directors and such other interested persons as the court deems proper.  It shall not be necessary to make shareholders or members parties thereto.  The costs of the action or part thereof, which shall include but not be limited to witness' fees, court costs and reasonable attorney's fees, may be charged by the court, in its discretion, against the corporation.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard