As used in this article 1, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) “Advertisement” includes the attempt by publication, dissemination, solicitation, or circulation, visual, oral, or written, to induce directly or indirectly any person to enter into any obligation or to acquire any title or interest in any property.
(2) “Article” means a product as distinguished from a trademark, label, or distinctive dress in packaging.
(2.5) “Business day” means any calendar day except Sunday, New Year's day, the third Monday in January observed as the birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Washington-Lincoln day, Memorial day, Independence day, Labor day, Columbus day, Veterans' day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
(2.7) “Buyers' club” means any person engaged in advertising or selling memberships that provide an exclusive right to members to purchase goods, food, services, or property at purported discount prices.
(3) “Certification mark” means a mark used in connection with the goods or services of a person other than the certifier to indicate geographic origin, material, mode of manufacture, quality, accuracy, or other characteristics of the goods or services or to indicate that the work or labor on the goods or services was performed by members of a union or other organization.
(4) “Collective mark” means a mark used by members of a cooperative, association, or other collective group or organization to identify goods or services and distinguish them from those of others, or to indicate membership in the collective group or organization.
(4.1) “Dance studio” means any person engaged in the advertisement or sale of dance studio services.
(4.2) “Dance studio services” means instruction, training, or assistance in dancing; the use of dance studio facilities; membership in any group, club, or association formed by a dance studio; and participation in dance competitions, dance showcases, trips, tours, parties, and other organized events and related travel arrangements.
(4.3) “Discount health plan” means a program evidenced by a membership agreement, contract, card, certificate, device, or mechanism, which offers health care services, as defined in section 10-16-102(33), C.R.S ., or related products including, but not limited to, prescription drugs and medical equipment, at purported discounted rates from health care providers advertised as participating in the program. A “discount health plan” does not include a program in which a participating provider has agreed, as a condition of his or her participation in the program, to negotiate the prices to be charged for his or her services directly with consumers in the program and the provider is not required to offer discounted prices for his or her services as part of the program.
(4.4) “Elderly person” means a person sixty years of age or older.
(4.5) “Food” means any raw, cooked, or processed edible substance, beverage, or ingredient used or intended for use or for sale in whole or part for human consumption.
(4.6) “Health club” means an establishment which provides health club services or facilities which purport to improve or maintain the user's physical condition or appearance through exercise. The term may include, but shall not be limited to, a spa, exercise club, exercise gym, health studio, or playing courts. The term shall not apply to any of the following:
(a) Any establishment operated by a nonprofit organization or public or private school, college, or university;
(b) Any establishment operated by the federal government, the state of Colorado, or any of the state's political subdivisions;
(c) Any establishment which does not provide health club services or facilities as its primary purpose or business; or
(d) Health care facilities licensed or certified by the department of public health and environment pursuant to its authority under section 25-1.5-103, C.R.S .
(4.7) “Health club facilities” means equipment, physical structures, and other tangible property utilized by a health club to conduct its business. The term may include, but shall not be limited to, saunas, whirlpool baths, gymnasiums, running tracks, playing courts, swimming pools, shower areas, and exercise equipment.
(4.8) “Health club services” means services, privileges, or rights offered for sale or provided by a health club.
(4.9) “Manufactured home” shall have the same meaning as set forth in section 42-1-102(106)(b), C.R.S .
(5) “Mark” means a word, name, symbol, device, or any combination thereof in any form or arrangement.
(5.5) “Motor vehicle” has the same meaning as set forth in section 12-6-102 .
(6) “Person” means an individual, corporation, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, unincorporated association, or two or more thereof having a joint or common interest, or any other legal or commercial entity.
(7) “Promoting a pyramid promotional scheme” means inducing one or more other persons to become participants, or attempting to so induce, or assisting another in promoting a pyramid promotional scheme by means of references or otherwise.
(8) “Property” means any real or personal property, or both real and personal property, intangible property, or services.
(9) “Pyramid promotional scheme” means any program utilizing a pyramid or chain process by which a participant in the program gives a valuable consideration in excess of fifty dollars for the opportunity or right to receive compensation or other things of value in return for inducing other persons to become participants for the purpose of gaining new participants in the program. Ordinary sales of goods or services to persons who are not purchasing in order to participate in such a scheme are not within this definition.
(9.5) “Resale time share” means a time share, including all or substantially all ownership, rights, or interests associated with the time share:
(a) That has been acquired previously for personal, family, or household use; and
(b)(I) That is owned by a Colorado resident; or
(II) The accommodations and other facilities of which are available for use through the time share and are primarily located in Colorado.
(10) “Sale” means any sale, offer for sale, or attempt to sell any real or personal property for any consideration.
(11) “Service mark” means a mark used by a person to identify services and to distinguish them from the services of others.
(11.2) Repealed by Laws 1993, H.B.93-1144, § 1, eff. July 1, 1993.
(11.5) “Time share” means a time share estate, as defined in section 38-33-110(5), C.R.S ., a time share use, as defined in section 12-61-401(4), C.R.S ., or any campground or recreational membership which does not constitute the transfer of an interest in real property.
(11.7)(a) “Time share resale entity” means any person who, either directly or indirectly, engages in a time share resale service.
(b) “Time share resale entity” does not include:
(I) The developer, association of time share owners, or other person responsible for managing or operating the plan or arrangement by which the rights or interests associated with a resale time share are utilized, but only to the extent the resale time share is part of an existing plan or arrangement managed by that developer, association, or person;
(II) Attorneys, title agents, title companies, or escrow companies providing closing, settlement, or other transaction services as long as the services are provided in the normal course of business in supporting a conveyance of title or in issuing title insurance products in a time share resale transaction. To the extent the attorney, title agent, title company, or escrow company is engaged in providing services or products that are outside the normal course of business in supporting a conveyance of title or in issuing title insurance products or has an affiliated business arrangement with a party to a time share resale transaction, this exemption does not apply; or
(III) Real estate brokers operating within the scope of activities specified in section 12-61-101(2), C.R.S ., with respect to a time share resale transaction as long as the real estate broker does not collect a fee in advance. To the extent a real estate broker is engaged in activities outside the scope of activities specified in section 12-61-101(2), C.R.S ., collects an advance fee, or has an affiliated business arrangement with a party to a time share resale transaction, this exemption does not apply.
(11.8) “Time share resale service” means any of the following activities, engaged in directly or indirectly and for consideration, regardless of whether performed in person, by mail, by telephone, or by any other mode of internet or electronic communication, unless performed by a person or entity that, pursuant to paragraph (b) of subsection (11.7) of this section, is exempted:
(a) The sale, rental, listing, or advertising of, or an offer to sell, rent, list, or advertise, any resale time share;
(b) The purchase or offer to purchase any resale time share;
(c) The transfer or offer to assist in the transfer of any resale time share; or
(d) The invalidation or an offer to invalidate the purchase or ownership of any resale time share or the purchase of any time share resale service.
(11.9)(a) “Time share resale transfer agreement” means a contract between a time share resale entity and the owner of a resale time share in which the time share resale entity agrees to transfer, or offers to assist in the transfer, of all or substantially all of the rights or interests in a resale time share on behalf of the owner of the resale time share.
(b)(I) “Time share resale transfer agreement” does not include a contract to sell, rent, list, advertise, purchase, or transfer a resale time share if the owner of the resale time share:
(A) Upon entering the contract, reasonably expects to receive consideration in exchange for the resale time share; and
(B) Upon the actual sale, rental, or transfer of the time share, receives consideration.
(II) For purposes of this subsection (11.9), a transfer of the resale time share does not, by itself, constitute consideration.
(12) “Trademark” means a mark used by a person to identify goods and to distinguish them from the goods of others.
(13) “Trade name” means a word, name, symbol, device, or any combination thereof in any form or arrangement used by a person to identify his business, vocation, or occupation, and to distinguish it from the business, vocation, or occupation of others.
(13.5) “Unavoidable delay” means inclement weather and other events outside the control of the buyer or seller.
(14) “Used motor vehicle” shall have the same meaning as set forth in section 42-6-201(8), C.R.S .
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.