(1) The livery license plate is hereby established. The plate consists of red letters on a white background and features the words “Colorado” across the top and “Livery” across the bottom of the plate.
(2)(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) to (d) of this subsection (2), a person providing luxury limousine service under article 10.1 of title 40, C.R.S., shall register the motor vehicle used for such purposes pursuant to this article and display livery license plates on the vehicle. Upon registration, the department shall issue livery license plates for the vehicles in accordance with this section. The department shall not issue a livery license plate unless the person either submits a verification document issued pursuant to section 40-10.1-303, C.R.S ., or the public utilities commission electronically verifies the authorization to provide luxury limousine service under section 40-10.1-303, C.R.S .
(b) A person providing luxury limousine service under article 10.1 of title 40, C.R.S., may provide such services without registering the motor vehicle or using livery license plates if the motor vehicle is rented, but the person shall not provide such services using a rented motor vehicle for more than thirty days.
(c) Repealed by Laws 2010 Ch. 319, s 2, eff. Jan. 1, 2012.
(d) If a motor vehicle is used to provide both taxicab services and luxury limousine services, the department shall issue the motor vehicle a taxicab license plate in accordance with section 42-3-236 .
(3) Upon payment of the additional fee required by section 42-3-211(6)(a) for personalized license plates, the department may issue personalized livery license plates if the applicant complies with section 42-3-211 . If an applicant has existing personalized license plates, the applicant may transfer the combination of letters or numbers to a new set of special livery license plates upon paying the fee imposed by section 42-3-211(6)(a) and upon turning the existing plates in to the department. A person who has obtained personalized livery license plates under this subsection (3) shall pay the annual fee imposed by section 42-3-211(6)(b) for renewal of such personalized plates. The fees under this subsection (3) are in addition to all other taxes and fees imposed for the livery license plates.
(4) No person shall operate a motor vehicle with a livery license plate or temporary livery license plate unless the motor vehicle to which the plates are attached is required by subsection (2) of this section to bear livery license plates. A person who violates this section commits a class B traffic infraction, punishable by a fine of seventy-five dollars.
(5) If the person who owns the motor vehicle with livery plates is not the same person under whose authority the motor vehicle operates pursuant to article 10.1 of title 40, C.R.S., the person with such authority may request that the department of revenue require the plate to be replaced. Upon a request being made, the department shall require the owner to return the livery license plate and be issued a new license plate.
(6) This section is effective January 1, 2011.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Colorado Revised Statutes Title 42. Vehicles and Traffic § 42-3-235. Livery license plates--luxury limousines - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/co/title-42-vehicles-and-traffic/co-rev-st-sect-42-3-235.html
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.