Colorado Revised Statutes Title 39 Taxation § 39-22-103 Definitions--construction of terms
Search Colorado Revised Statutes
As used in this article, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) “Assessment” means the filing of the return as to the tax, penalty, and interest shown to be due thereon and, as to any other tax imposed under this article, or any deficiency in tax, or any penalty or interest, means the mailing or issuance of a notice and demand for payment.
(2) “Basic date” means July 1, 1937.
(2.5) “C corporation” means any organization taxed as a corporation for federal income tax purposes.
(3) “Domestic corporation” means a corporation organized under the laws of this state.
(4) “Executive director” means the executive director of the department of revenue.
(5) “Foreign corporation” means a corporation other than a domestic corporation.
(5.3) “Internal revenue code” means the provisions of the federal “Internal Revenue Code of 1986”, as amended, 1 and other provisions of the laws of the United States relating to federal income taxes, as the same may become effective at any time or from time to time, for the taxable year.
(5.5) Deleted by Laws 1995, H.B.95-1061, § 40, eff. May 24, 1995.
(5.6) “Partnership” means any group or organization that is a partnership, as defined by section 761(a) of the internal revenue code , 2 and is required to file a return under section 6031(a) of the internal revenue code . 3
(5.8) “Qualified higher deductible health plan” has the same meaning as that set forth in section 39-22-504.6(3.5) .
(6) “Resident beneficiary” means a beneficiary of an estate or trust, which beneficiary is a resident individual, a domestic corporation, a resident estate, a resident trust, or a partnership or a limited liability company organized under the laws of this state. “Nonresident beneficiary” means a beneficiary other than a resident beneficiary.
(7) “Resident estate” means the estate of a deceased person which is administered in this state in a proceeding other than an ancillary proceeding. “Nonresident estate” means an estate other than a resident estate.
(8)(a) “Resident individual” means a natural person who is domiciled in this state and a natural person who maintains a permanent place of abode within this state and who spends in the aggregate more than six months of the taxable year within this state.
(b)(I) “Resident individual” does not include, for income tax years commencing on or after January 1, 2001, any individual domiciled in this state who:
(A) Is absent from the state for a period of at least three hundred five days of the tax year and is stationed outside of the United States of America for active military duty; and
(B) Elects not to file a Colorado individual income tax return as a resident individual.
(II) “Resident individual” does not include the spouse of an individual described in subparagraph (I) of this paragraph (b) who accompanies such individual for the period of such individual's absence and who elects not to file a tax return as a resident individual.
(c) A “nonresident individual” means an individual other than a resident individual and an individual described in paragraph (b) of this subsection (8) who elects treatment as a nonresident individual.
(8.5) Deleted by Laws 1995, H.B.95-1061, § 40, eff. May 24, 1995.
(9) “Resident partner” means a partner who is a resident individual, a domestic corporation, a resident estate, a resident trust, or a partnership or a limited liability company organized under the laws of this state. “Nonresident partner” means a partner other than a resident partner.
(10) “Resident trust” means a trust which is administered in this state. “Nonresident trust” means a trust other than a resident trust.
(10.5) “S corporation” means a corporation for which a valid election is in effect pursuant to section 1362(a) of the internal revenue code . 4
(10.8) “Withholding certificate” means a document , which may be in paper or electronic form, utilized by an employee to instruct his or her employer to withhold taxes at a specific rate.
(11) Any term used in this article, except as otherwise expressly provided or clearly appearing from the context, shall have the same meaning as when used in a comparable context in the internal revenue code, as amended, in effect for the taxable period. Due consideration shall be given in the interpretation of this article to applicable sections of the internal revenue code in effect from time to time and to federal rulings and regulations interpreting such sections if such statute, rulings, and regulations do not conflict with the provisions of this article.
Read this complete Colorado Revised Statutes Title 39 Taxation § 39-22-103 Definitions--construction of terms on Westlaw
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.