Colorado Revised Statutes Title 19 Children's Code § 19-5-202 Who may adopt
Search Colorado Revised Statutes
(1) Any person twenty-one years of age or older, including a foster parent, may petition the court to decree an adoption.
(2) A minor, upon approval of the court, may petition the court to decree an adoption.
(3) A person having a living spouse from whom he is not legally separated shall petition jointly with such spouse, unless such spouse is the natural parent of the child to be adopted or has previously adopted the child.
(4) A person having a living partner in a civil union from whom the person is not legally separated shall petition jointly with the partner, unless the partner is the natural parent of the child to be adopted or has previously adopted the child.
(5) A person who is a partner in a civil union may adopt a child of the other partner through the same process outlined in section 19-5-203 for a stepparent adoption and shall be considered a stepparent for the purpose of determining whether a child is available for adoption pursuant to section 19-5-203(1) .
Read this complete Colorado Revised Statutes Title 19 Children's Code § 19-5-202 Who may adopt on Westlaw
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.