Colorado Revised Statutes Title 14. Domestic Matters § 14-10-111. Declaration of invalidity

(1) The district court shall enter its decree declaring the invalidity of a marriage entered into under the following circumstances:

(a) A party lacked capacity to consent to the marriage at the time the marriage was solemnized, either because of mental incapacity or infirmity or because of the influence of alcohol, drugs, or other incapacitating substances.

(b) A party lacked the physical capacity to consummate the marriage by sexual intercourse, and the other party did not at the time the marriage was solemnized know of the incapacity.

(c) A party was under the age as provided by law and did not have the consent of his parents or guardian or judicial approval as provided by law.

(d) One party entered into the marriage in reliance upon a fraudulent act or representation of the other party, which fraudulent act or representation goes to the essence of the marriage.

(e) One or both parties entered into the marriage under duress exercised by the other party or a third party, whether or not such other party knew of such exercise of duress.

(f) One or both parties entered into the marriage as a jest or dare.

(g) The marriage is prohibited by law, including the following:

(I) A marriage entered into prior to the dissolution of an earlier marriage of one of the parties;

(II) A marriage between an ancestor and a descendant or between a brother and a sister, whether the relationship is by the half or the whole blood;

(III) A marriage between an uncle and a niece or between an aunt and a nephew, whether the relationship is by the half or the whole blood, except as to marriages permitted by the established customs of aboriginal cultures;

(IV) A marriage which was void by the law of the place where such marriage was contracted.

(2) A declaration of invalidity under subsection (1) of this section may be sought by any of the following persons and shall be commenced within the times specified, but in no event may a declaration of invalidity be sought after the death of either party to the marriage, except as provided in subsection (3) of this section:

(a) For the reasons set forth in either subsection (1)(a), (1)(d), (1)(e), or (1)(f) of this section, by either party to the marriage who was aggrieved by the conditions or by the legal representative of the party who lacked capacity to consent no later than six months after the petitioner obtained knowledge of the described condition;

(b) For the reason set forth in subsection (1)(b) of this section, by either party no later than one year after the petitioner obtained knowledge of the described condition;

(c) For the reason set forth in subsection (1)(c) of this section, by the underage party, his parent, or his guardian, if such action for declaration of invalidity of marriage is commenced within twenty-four months of the date the marriage was entered into.

(3) A declaration of invalidity, for the reason set forth in subsection (1)(g) of this section, may be sought by either party;  by the legal spouse in case of bigamous, polygamous, or incestuous marriages;  by the appropriate state official;  or by a child of either party at any time prior to the death of either party or prior to the final settlement of the estate of either party and the discharge of the personal representative, executor, or administrator of the estate or prior to six months after an estate is closed under section 15-12-1204, C.R.S .

(5) Marriages declared invalid under this section shall be so declared as of the date of the marriage.

(6) The provisions of this article relating to the property rights of spouses, maintenance, and support of and the allocation of parental responsibilities with respect to the children on dissolution of marriage are applicable to decrees of invalidity of marriage.

(7) No decree shall be entered unless one of the parties has been domiciled in this state for thirty days next preceding the commencement of the proceeding or unless the marriage has been contracted in this state.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard