(1)(a)(I) There is hereby created the Colorado medical board, referred to in this article as the “board”. The board shall consist of sixteen members appointed by the governor and possessing the qualifications specified in this article and as follows:
(A) Eleven physician members;
(B) One member licensed under this article as a physician assistant; and
(C) Four members from the public at large who have no financial or professional association with the medical profession.
(II) The terms of the members of the board shall be four years. For the two physician and one physician assistant appointees added to the board during the calendar year beginning January 1, 2010, the term for one of the physician member appointees shall expire four years after the appointment; the term for the other physician member appointee shall expire three years after the appointment; and the term for the physician assistant appointee shall expire two years after the appointment. Thereafter, the terms of the members of the board shall be four years.
(b) Deleted by Laws 2003, Ch. 120, § 12, eff. Aug. 6, 2003.
(2) The board shall be comprised at all times of eight members having the degree of doctor of medicine, three members having the degree of doctor of osteopathy, and one physician assistant, all of whom shall have been licensed in good standing and actively engaged in the practice of their professions in this state for at least three years next preceding their appointments, and four members of the public at large.
(3) If a vacancy in the membership of the board occurs for any cause other than expiration of a term, the governor shall appoint a successor to fill the unexpired portion of the term of the member whose office has been so vacated and shall appoint the new member in the same manner as members for a full term. Members of the board shall remain in office until their successors have been appointed. A member of the board may be removed by the governor for continued neglect of duty, incompetence, or unprofessional or dishonorable conduct.
(4) The board shall elect biennially from its members a president and a vice-president. Meetings of the board or any panel established pursuant to this article shall be held as scheduled by the board in the state of Colorado. Except as provided in section 12-36-118(6) , a majority of the board shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of all business. All meetings of the board shall be deemed to have been duly called and regularly held, and all decisions, resolutions, and proceedings of the board shall be deemed to have been duly authorized, unless the contrary be proved.
(5) Deleted by Laws 2004, Ch. 378, § 67, eff. Aug. 4, 2004.
(6)(a)(I) The provisions of section 24-34-104, C.R.S ., concerning the termination schedule for regulatory bodies of the state unless extended as provided in that section, are applicable to the Colorado medical board created by this section.
(II) The review required by this subsection (6) shall include an analysis of physician responsibilities related to recommendations for medical marijuana and the provisions of section 25-1.5-106, C.R.S .
(b) This article is repealed, effective July 1, 2019.
(7) Deleted by Laws 2010, Ch. 403, § 14, eff. July 1, 2010.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.