Colorado Revised Statutes Title 10. Insurance § 10-4-601. Definitions
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Colorado Revised Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
As used in this part 6, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) Repealed by Laws 2007, Ch. 249, § 3, eff. May 18, 2007.
(2) “Complying policy” means a policy of insurance that provides the coverages and is subject to the terms and conditions required by this part 6, and is certified by the insurer and the insurer has filed a certification with the commissioner that such policy, contract, or endorsement conforms to Colorado law and any rules promulgated by the commissioner.
(3) “Converter” means a person other than a named insured or resident relative who operates or uses a motor vehicle in a manner that a reasonable person would determine was unauthorized or beyond the scope of permission given by a named insured or resident relative. In determining whether a person is a converter, the following factors should be considered:
(a) The duration of the person's control over the motor vehicle;
(b) The circumstances surrounding the conduct of the person operating or using the motor vehicle; and
(c) The person's good faith.
(4) “Described motor vehicle” means the motor vehicle described in the complying policy.
(5) “Insured” means the named insured, relatives of the named insured who reside in the same household as the named insured, and any person using the described motor vehicle with the permission of the named insured.
(5.5) “Licensed health-care provider” means a person, corporation, facility, or institution licensed or certified by this state to provide health-care or professional services as a hospital, health-care facility, or dispensary or to practice and practicing medicine, osteopathy, chiropractic, nursing, physical therapy, podiatry, dentistry, pharmacy, acupuncture, or optometry in this state, or an officer, employee, or agent of the person, corporation, facility, or institution working under the supervision of the person, corporation, facility, or institution in providing health-care services.
(6) “Motor vehicle” means a “motor vehicle” and a “low-power scooter”, as both terms are defined in section 42-1-102, C.R.S.; except that “motor vehicle” does not include a toy vehicle, snowmobile, off-highway vehicle, or vehicle designed primarily for use on rails.
(7) “Nonpayment of premium” means failure of the named insured to discharge when due any obligations in connection with the payment of premiums on the policy, or any installment of such premium, whether the premium is payable directly to the insurer or its agent or indirectly under any premium finance plan or extension of credit.
(8) “Owner” means a person who holds the legal title to a vehicle; except that, if the vehicle is the subject of an agreement for the conditional sale or lease thereof with the right of purchase upon performance of the conditions stated in the agreement and with an immediate right of possession vested in the conditional vendee or lessee, or if a mortgagor of the vehicle is entitled to possession, then such conditional vendee or lessee or mortgagor shall be deemed the owner for the purpose of this part 6.
(9) “Person” means every natural person, firm, partnership, association, or corporation.
(10) “Policy” means an automobile insurance policy providing coverage for all or any of the following coverages: Collision, comprehensive, bodily injury liability, property damage liability, medical payments, and uninsured motorist coverage, or a combination automobile policy providing bodily injury liability, property damage liability, medical payments, uninsured motorist, and physical damage coverage, delivered or issued for delivery in this state, insuring a single individual, or husband and wife, or family members residing in the same household, as named insured, and under which the insured vehicles therein designated are of the following types only:
(a) A motor vehicle of the private passenger or station wagon type that is not used as a public or livery conveyance for passengers nor rented to others pursuant to the terms of a motor vehicle rental agreement; or
(b) Any other four-wheel motor vehicle with a load capacity of fifteen hundred pounds or less that is not used in the occupation, profession, or business of the insured.
(11) “Renewal” or “to renew” means the issuance and delivery by an insurer of a policy replacing at the end of the policy period a policy previously issued and delivered by the same insurer or by an admitted company within the same insurance group, or the issuance and delivery of a certificate or notice extending the term of the policy beyond its policy period or term; but any policy with a policy period or term of less than six months shall, for the purpose of this part 6, be considered as if written for a policy period or term of six months; and any policy written for a term longer than one year, or any policy with no fixed expiration date, shall, for the purpose of this part 6, be considered as if written for successive policy periods or terms of one year, and such policy may be terminated at the expiration of any annual period upon giving twenty days' notice of cancellation prior to such anniversary date, and such cancellation shall not be subject to any other provisions of this part 6.
(12) Repealed by Laws 2007, Ch. 249, § 3, eff. May 18, 2007.
(13) “Resident relative” means a person who, at the time of the accident, is related by blood, marriage, or adoption to the named insured or resident spouse and who resides in the named insured's household, even if temporarily living elsewhere, and any ward or foster child who usually resides with the named insured, even if temporarily living elsewhere.
(14) “Stacking” has the same meaning set forth in section 10-4-402(3.5).
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Colorado Revised Statutes Title 10. Insurance § 10-4-601. Definitions - last updated January 01, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/co/title-10-insurance/co-rev-st-sect-10-4-601.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?