Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(1) The short title of this section is the “Patient Drug Costs Savings Act”.
(2) The general assembly hereby finds and declares that:
(a) Consumers have the right to know about options to reduce the amount of money they pay at a pharmacy for prescription drugs; and
(b) This section will save consumers money by allowing pharmacists to provide information concerning the cost of prescription drugs.
(3) A carrier that has a contract with a pharmacy or pharmacist, or a pharmacy benefit management firm acting on behalf of a carrier, shall not:
(a) Prohibit a pharmacy or pharmacist from providing a covered person information on the amount of the covered person's cost share for the covered person's prescription drug and the clinical efficacy of a more affordable alternative drug that is therapeutically equivalent, as defined in section 12-280-103(52), to the prescribed drug if one is available;
(b) Penalize a pharmacy or a pharmacist for disclosing the information described in subsection (3)(a) of this section to a covered person or selling a more affordable alternative to a covered person; or
(c) Require a pharmacy to charge or collect a copayment from a covered person that exceeds the total charges submitted by the network pharmacy.
(4) If the commissioner determines that a carrier has not complied with this section, the commissioner shall institute a corrective action plan for the carrier to follow or use any of the commissioner's enforcement powers under this title 10 to obtain the carrier's compliance with this section.
(5) If any provision of this section is inconsistent with, or in conflict with, an applicable federal law, rule, or regulation, the applicable federal law, rule, or regulation applies.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Colorado Revised Statutes Title 10. Insurance § 10-16-122.7. Disclosures between pharmacists and patients--carrier prohibitions--short title--legislative declaration--preemption by federal law - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/co/title-10-insurance/co-rev-st-sect-10-16-122-7.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.