Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(1) The unearned premium reserve of every title insurance company required to maintain such reserves in this state shall consist of:
(a) The amount of the unearned premium reserve held as of July 1, 1969, pursuant to law; and
(b) The amount of all additions required to be made to such reserve by this section, less the withdrawals therefrom as permitted by this section.
(2) On and after July 1, 1969, every title insurance company shall add to its unearned premium reserve, in respect to each title insurance policy, leasehold policy, contract, or reinsurance agreement issued by it, a sum equal to one dollar for each such policy, contract, or agreement, plus fifteen cents for each one thousand dollars face amount of net retained liability on each such policy, contract, or reinsurance agreement, as defined in section 10-11-102(4), or the amount reinsured by it, and shall separately record the aggregate amounts so set aside and reserved in respect to such policies, contracts, or agreements written in each calendar year.
(3) The amounts set aside as additions to the unearned premium reserve shall be deducted from income in determining net profits of any title insurance company.
(4) For the purposes of determining the amounts of the unearned premium reserve that may be withdrawn pursuant to subsection (5) of this section, all policies, contracts of title insurance, or reinsurance agreements of title insurance shall be considered as dated July 1 in the year of issue.
(5) On and before December 31, 2000, the aggregate of the amounts set aside in unearned premium reserve in any calendar year pursuant to subsection (2) of this section shall be released from said reserve and restored to income pursuant to the following formula: One-tenth of said aggregate sum on July 1 of each of the five years next succeeding the year of addition to the reserve and one-thirtieth of said aggregate sum on July 1 of each succeeding year thereafter until the entire sum has been so released and restored to income. On and after January 1, 2001, the aggregate of the amounts set aside in unearned premium reserve in any calendar year pursuant to subsection (2) of this section shall be released from said reserve and restored to income in accordance with the formula prescribed by nationally recognized insurance statutory accounting principles.
(6) Deleted by Laws 2001, Ch. 105, § 11, eff. March 30, 2001.
(7) If substantially the entire outstanding liability under all policies, contracts of title insurance, and reinsurance agreements of any such title insurance company shall be reinsured, the value of the consideration received by a reinsuring title insurance company authorized to transact the business of title insurance in this state shall constitute, in its entirety, unearned portions of original premiums and shall be added to its unearned premium reserve, and shall be deemed, for recovery purposes, to have been provided for liabilities assumed during the year of such reinsurance. The amount of such addition to the unearned premium reserve of such assuming title insurance company shall be not less than two-thirds of the amount of the unearned premium reserve required to be maintained by the ceding title insurance company at the time of such reinsurance.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Colorado Revised Statutes Title 10. Insurance § 10-11-110. Amount of unearned premium reserve--release - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/co/title-10-insurance/co-rev-st-sect-10-11-110.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?