Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
The definitions applicable to the VSGP grants under this subpart include:
Citizen or national of the United States which means:
(1) A citizen or national of the United States, as defined in 8 U.S.C. 1401; or,
(2) A national of the United States, as defined in the Immigration and Nationality Act, 8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(22), who, though not a citizen of the United States, owes permanent allegiance to the United States.
Practice of veterinary medicine means to diagnose, treat, correct, change, alleviate, or prevent animal disease, illness, pain, deformity, defect, injury, or other physical, dental, or mental conditions by any method or mode including:
(1) The prescription, dispensing, administration, or application of any drug, medicine, biologic, apparatus, anesthetic, or other therapeutic or diagnostic substance or medical or surgical technique, or
(2) The use of complementary, alternative, and integrative therapies, or
(3) The use of any manual or mechanical procedure for reproductive management, or
(4) The rendering of advice or recommendation by any means including telephonic and other electronic communications with regard to any of paragraphs (1), (2), (3), or (4) of this definition.
Qualified entity means an eligible entity (see § 3430.1203 for a list of eligible applicants for each project type) that carries out programs or activities that the Secretary determines will:
(1) Substantially relieve veterinarian shortage situations;
(2) Support or facilitate private veterinary practices engaged in public health activities; or
(3) Support or facilitate the practices of veterinarians who are providing or have completed providing services under an agreement entered into with the Secretary under 7 U.S.C. 3151a(a)(2).
Rural area is defined in section 343(a) of the Consolidated Farm and Rural Development Act (7 U.S.C. 1991(a)).
Veterinarian means a U.S. citizen or national who has received a professional veterinary medicine degree from a college of veterinary medicine accredited by the AVMA Council on Education.
Veterinarian Shortage Situation means any of the following situations in which the Secretary, in accordance with the process in 7 CFR part 3431 subpart A, determines has a shortage of veterinarians:
(1) Geographical areas that the Secretary determines have a shortage of food supply veterinarians; and
(2) Areas of veterinary practice that the Secretary determines have a shortage of food supply veterinarians, such as food animal medicine, public health, animal health, epidemiology, and food safety.
Veterinary medicine means all branches and specialties included within the practice of veterinary medicine.
Veterinary Medicine Loan Repayment Program or VMLRP means the Veterinary Medicine Loan Repayment Program authorized by the National Veterinary Medical Service Act (7 U.S.C. 3151a).
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Code of Federal Regulations Title 7. Agriculture § 7.3430.1202 Definitions - last updated October 03, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/cfr/title-7-agriculture/cfr-sect-7-3430-1202.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?