Skip to main content

Code of Federal Regulations Title 50. Wildlife and Fisheries § 50.217.112 Permissible methods of taking

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) Under a Letter of Authorization issued pursuant to §§ 216.106 and 217.117 of this chapter, the Holder of the Letter of Authorization may incidentally, but not intentionally, take marine mammals by Level A and Level B harassment within the area described in § 217.110(b) of this chapter, provided the activity is in compliance with all terms, conditions, and requirements of this subpart and the appropriate Letter of Authorization.

(b) The activities identified in § 217.110(c) of this chapter must be conducted in a manner that minimizes, to the greatest extent practicable, any adverse impact on marine mammals and their habitat.

(c) The incidental take of marine mammals under the activities identified in § 217.110(c) is limited to the following species, by the indicated method of take and the indicated number:

(1) Level B Harassment:

(i) Atlantic bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus)—2,200 (an average of 444 annually);

(ii) Atlantic spotted dolphin (Stenella frontalis)—1,765 (an average of 353 annually);

(iii) Pantropical spotted dolphin (S. attenuate)—15 (an average of 3 annually);

(iv) Spinner dolphin (S. longirostris)—15 (an average of 3 annually);

(v) Dwarf or pygmy sperm whale (Kogia simus or Kogia breviceps)—10 (an average of 2 annually).

(2) Level A Harassment:

(i) Atlantic bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus)—25 (an average of 5 annually);

(ii) Atlantic spotted dolphin (Stenella frontalis)—20 (an average of 4 annually).

Cite this article: - Code of Federal Regulations Title 50. Wildlife and Fisheries § 50.217.112 Permissible methods of taking - last updated October 03, 2022 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard