Skip to main content

Code of Federal Regulations Title 46. Shipping § 46.11.482 Assistance towing

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) This section contains the requirements to qualify for an endorsement authorizing a mariner to engage in assistance towing. Except as noted in this paragraph, holders of MMC officer and OUPV endorsements must have an assistance towing endorsement to engage in assistance towing. Holders of endorsements as master or mate (pilot) of towing vessels or master or mate endorsements authorizing service on inspected vessels of 200 GRT or more do not need the assistance towing endorsement.

(b) An applicant for an assistance towing endorsement must pass a written examination or complete a Coast Guard-approved course demonstrating his or her knowledge of assistance towing safety, equipment, and procedures.

(c) The holder of a license or MMC for master, mate, or operator endorsed for assistance towing is authorized to engage in assistance towing on any vessel within the scope of the license or MMC.

(d) The period of validity of the endorsement is the same as the license or MMC on which it is included, and it may be renewed with the MMC.

Cite this article: - Code of Federal Regulations Title 46. Shipping § 46.11.482 Assistance towing - last updated October 03, 2022 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard