Code of Federal Regulations Title 38. Pensions, Bonuses, and Veterans' Relief § 38.21.5742 Entitlement
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Code of Federal Regulations
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) Educational assistance. A veteran or servicemember shall be entitled to one standard academic year (or the equivalent) of educational assistance for each year of service following the first enlistment beginning after November 30, 1980 (up to a maximum of four years). If the veteran or servicemember completes two years of active duty in the term of enlistment, but fails to complete the enlistment or fails to complete four years of active duty in an enlistment of more than four years, his or her entitlement to educational assistance shall be calculated as follows:
(1) VA shall determine the number of years, months and days in the veteran's qualifying period of service by subtracting the entry on duty date from the release from active duty date. Any deductible time under § 3.15 of this chapter (during the period of service on which eligibility is based) will be excluded from the calculation.
(2) VA shall convert the number of years determined in paragraph (a)(1) of this section to months by multiplying them by 12.
(3) VA shall convert the number of days determined in paragraph (a)(1) of this section to 0 months if there are 14 days or less, and to 1 month is there are more than 14 days.
(4) VA shall determine the number of total months by adding the number of months determined in paragraph (a)(1) of this section (exclusive of years and days) to the number of months determined in paragraph (a)(2) of this section, and the number of months in paragraph (a)(3).
(5) VA shall multiply the number of total months in paragraph (a)(4) of this section by .75.
(Authority: 10 U.S.C. 2142(a)(2))
(b) Subsistence allowance. A veteran or servicemember shall be entitled to nine months of subsistence allowance for each standard academic year of entitlement to educational assistance. For each period of entitlement to educational assistance which is shorter than a standard academic year, a veteran or servicemember will be entitled to one month of subsistence allowance for each month of entitlement to educational assistance. This entitlement shall not exceed nine months.
(Authority: 10 U.S.C. 2144)
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Code of Federal Regulations Title 38. Pensions, Bonuses, and Veterans' Relief § 38.21.5742 Entitlement - last updated October 02, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/cfr/title-38-pensions-bonuses-and-veterans-relief/cfr-sect-38-21-5742.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?