Skip to main content

Code of Federal Regulations Title 21. Food and Drugs § 21.177.1670 Polyvinyl alcohol film

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

Polyvinyl alcohol film may be safely used in contact with food of the types identified in § 176.170(c) of this chapter, table 1, under Types V, VIII, and IX, in accordance with the following prescribed conditions:

(a) The polyvinyl alcohol film is produced from polyvinyl alcohol having a minimum viscosity of 4 centipoises when a 4–percent aqueous solution is tested at 20° C.

(b) The finished food-contact film for use in contact with Food Types V or IX, when extracted with the solvent characterizing the type of food and under the conditions of time and temperature characterizing its intended use as determined from tables 1 and 2 of § 176.170(c) of this chapter, yields total extractives not to exceed 0.078 milligram per square centimeter (0.5 milligram per square inch) of food-contact surface when tested by ASTM method F34–76 (Reapproved 1980), “Standard Test Method for Liquid Extraction of Flexible Barrier Materials,” which is incorporated by reference. Copies may be obtained from the American Society for Testing Materials, 100 Barr Harbor Dr., West Conshohocken, Philadelphia, PA 19428-2959, or may be examined at the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). For information on the availability of this material at NARA, call 202–741–6030, or go to:

(c) The finished food-contact film shall not be used as a component of food containers intended for use in contact with water.

Cite this article: - Code of Federal Regulations Title 21. Food and Drugs § 21.177.1670 Polyvinyl alcohol film - last updated October 02, 2022 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard