Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
The food additive sodium lauryl sulfate may be safely used in food in accordance with the following conditions:
(a) The additive meets the following specifications:
(1) It is a mixture of sodium alkyl sulfates consisting chiefly of sodium lauryl sulfate [CH2(CH2)10CH2OSO2Na].
(2) It has a minimum content of 90 percent sodium alkyl sulfates.
(b) It is used or intended for use:
(1) As an emulsifier in or with egg whites whereby the additive does not exceed the following limits:
Egg white solids, 1,000 parts per million.
Frozen egg whites, 125 parts per million.
Liquid egg whites, 125 parts per million.
(2) As a whipping agent at a level not to exceed 0.5 percent by weight of gelatine used in the preparation of marshmallows.
(3) As a surfactant in:
(i) Fumaric acid-acidulated dry beverage base whereby the additive does not exceed 25 parts per million of the finished beverage and such beverage base is not for use in a food for which a standard of identity established under section 401 of the Act precludes such use.
(ii) Fumaric acid-acidulated fruit juice drinks whereby the additive does not exceed 25 parts per million of the finished fruit juice drink and it is not used in a fruit juice drink for which a standard of identity established under section 401 of the Act precludes such use.
(4) As a wetting agent at a level not to exceed 10 parts per million in the partition of high and low melting fractions of crude vegetable oils and animal fats, provided that the partition step is followed by a conventional refining process that includes alkali neutralization and deodorization of the fats and oils.
(c) To insure the safe use of the additive, the label of the food additive container shall bear, in addition to the other information required by the Act:
(1) The name of the additive, sodium lauryl sulfate.
(2) Adequate use directions to provide a final product that complies with the limitations prescribed in paragraph (b) of this section.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Code of Federal Regulations Title 21. Food and Drugs § 21.172.822 Sodium lauryl sulfate - last updated October 03, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/cfr/title-21-food-and-drugs/cfr-sect-21-172-822.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?