Code of Federal Regulations Title 21. Food and Drugs § 21.172.215 Coumarone-indene resin
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Code of Federal Regulations
Search by Keyword or Citation
The food additive coumarone-indene resin may be safely used on grapefruit, lemons, limes, oranges, tangelos, and tangerines in accordance with the following prescribed conditions:
(a) The food additive is manufactured by the polymerization of a crude, heavy coal-tar solvent naphtha meeting the following specifications:
(1) It is a mixture of indene, indan (hydrindene), substituted benzenes, and related compounds.
(2) It contains no more than 0.25 percent tar bases.
(3) 95 percent distills in the range 167° C–184° C.
(b) The food additive meets the following specifications:
(1) Softening point, ring and ball: 126°C minimum as determined by ASTM method E28–67 (Reapproved 1982), “Standard Test Method for Softening Point by Ring-and-Ball Apparatus,” which is incorporated by reference. Copies may be obtained from the American Society for Testing Materials, 100 Barr Harbor Dr., West Conshohocken, Philadelphia, PA 19428-2959, or may be examined at the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). For information on the availability of this material at NARA, call 202-741-6030, or go to: http://www.archives.gov/ federal_register/code_of_federal_regulations/ibr_locations.html.
(2) Refractive index (n25/D) 1.63–1.64.
(c) It is used or intended for use as a protective coating for grapefruit, lemons, limes, oranges, tangelos, and tangerines whereby the maximum amount of the resin remaining on the fruit does not exceed 200 parts per million on a fresh-weight basis.
(d) To assure safe use of the additive:
(1) The label of the market package or any intermediate premix of the additive shall bear, in addition to the other information required by the act:
(i) The name of the additive, coumarone-indene resin.
(ii) A statement of the concentration of the additive therein.
(2) The label or accompanying labeling shall bear adequate directions that, if followed, will result in a finished food not in conflict with the requirements of this section.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Code of Federal Regulations Title 21. Food and Drugs § 21.172.215 Coumarone-indene resin - last updated October 02, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/cfr/title-21-food-and-drugs/cfr-sect-21-172-215.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?