Skip to main content

California Code, Welfare and Institutions Code - WIC § 9701

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

Unless the contrary is stated or clearly appears from the context, the following definitions shall govern the interpretation of this chapter:

(a) “Approved organization” means any public agency or other appropriate organization that has been designated by the Office of the State Long-Term Care Ombudsman to hear, investigate, and resolve complaints made by or on behalf of patients or residents of long-term care facilities relating to matters that may affect the health, safety, welfare, and rights of these patients or residents.

(b) “Long-term care facility” means any of the following:

(1) Any nursing or skilled nursing facility, as defined in Section 1250 of the Health and Safety Code, including distinct parts of facilities that are required to comply with licensure requirements for skilled nursing facilities.

(2) Any residential care facility for the elderly as defined in Section 1569.2 of the Health and Safety Code.

(c)Office” means the Office of the State Long-Term Care Ombudsman, including approved organizations.

(d)Ombudsman coordinator” means the individual selected by the governing board or executive director of the approved organization to manage the day-to-day operation of the ombudsman program, including the implementation of federal and state requirements governing the office.

(e)Residentorpatientmeans an individual living in a long-term care facility.

(f)State Ombudsman” means the State Long-Term Care Ombudsman.

Cite this article: - California Code, Welfare and Institutions Code - WIC § 9701 - last updated January 01, 2023 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard