California Code, Welfare and Institutions Code - WIC § 451

(a) At a hearing during which termination of jurisdiction over a ward is considered, the court may, as an alternative to termination of jurisdiction, modify its order of jurisdiction and assume transition jurisdiction over the ward pursuant to Section 450 .  The court may also assume transition jurisdiction over a ward, transition dependent, or nonminor dependent whose underlying adjudication is vacated pursuant to Section 236.14 of the Penal Code .

(b) A minor or a nonminor who is subject to the court's transition jurisdiction shall not be subject to any terms or conditions of probation, and his or her case shall be managed as a dependent child of the court or as a nonminor dependent of the court.

(c) Each county shall modify its protocol for Section 241.1 to include a provision to determine whether the child welfare services department or the probation department shall supervise persons subject to the court's transition jurisdiction, including persons who obtained a court order vacating the underlying adjudication pursuant to Section 236.14 of the Penal Code .  For a minor, this supervision shall comply with the requirements and procedures set forth in this code for dependent children.  For a nonminor, this supervision shall comply with the provisions set forth in this code that specifically apply to nonminor dependents.

(d) The court shall appoint counsel, pursuant to Section 317 , for minors and nonminors subject to the court's transition jurisdiction.  The court shall, to the extent feasible given local court circumstances, provide for continuity of representation for the minor or nonminor from delinquency jurisdiction to transition jurisdiction pursuant to Section 450 by the attorney appointed to represent the minor or nonminor pursuant to Section 634 .

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard