Skip to main content

California Code, Welfare and Institutions Code - WIC § 11266.5

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

<For Executive Order N-59-20 (2019 CA EO 59-20), relating to changes to the CalWORKs eligibility verification process and the availability of alternative lump-sum financial assistance, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, see Historical and Statutory Notes under Welfare and Institutions Code § 10831.>

(a) Every applicant for aid under this chapter shall be informed of the availability of lump-sum diversion services to resolve the circumstances that require the family to apply for assistance prior to the family's approval for aid.

(b) When an applicant is determined to be eligible for assistance under this chapter, the county shall assess whether the applicant would benefit from the lump-sum diversion program. The county shall make this determination in its sole discretion. In making this determination, the county shall consider whether the applicant is likely to be able to avoid the need for extended assistance beyond the diversion period if the family was provided one-time assistance. In making this determination, the county may consider any of the following:

(1) The applicant's employment history.

(2) The likelihood of the applicant obtaining immediate full-time employment.

(3) The applicant's general prospect for obtaining full-time employment.

(4) The applicant's need for cash assistance to pay for housing or substantial and unforeseen expenses or work-related expenses.

(5) Housing stability.

(6) The adequacy of the applicant's child care arrangements, if applicable.

(c) If the county determines, pursuant to subdivision (b), that an applicant could benefit from a lump-sum diversion payment, the county shall inform the applicant of its determination.

(d) An applicant for aid under this chapter may either participate in the lump-sum diversion program or decline participation in diversion and, instead, receive aid as otherwise provided for in this chapter.

(e) Lump-sum diversion services provided under this section may include any cash or noncash payment and shall be negotiated by the county and the applicant in order to assist the applicant in avoiding the need for aid under this chapter.

(f) If, after accepting a diversion payment pursuant to this section, the individual reapplies for aid under this chapter within the amount of time that corresponds with the number of months of aid that would have been received under this chapter that was received as a diversion payment, excluding a partial month, and he or she is determined to be eligible for aid, the county shall, at the option of the recipient, either recoup from the recipient's grant, over a period of time to be determined by the county, the amount of the diversion payment that the recipient received, or count the period of time that corresponds to the number of months of aid that would have been received, excluding a partial month of aid, towards the time limits on aid specified in subdivision (a) of Section 11454.

(g) To the extent permitted by federal law, lump-sum diversion payments shall not be considered income for the purpose of determining eligibility for CalFresh benefits.

(h) Any child support collected by the applicant or recovered by the county shall not be used to offset the diversion payment.

(i) During the period of the diversion, the applicant family shall be eligible for Medi-Cal and child care assistance pursuant to Article 15.5 (commencing with Section 8350) of Chapter 2 of Part 6 of the Education Code, if otherwise eligible.

Cite this article: - California Code, Welfare and Institutions Code - WIC § 11266.5 - last updated January 01, 2019 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard