California Code, Streets and Highways Code - SHC § 27563

Any person who, without the consent of the board of directors of the district, uses any district mark, name, word, or phrase, or combination, simulation, or colorable imitation thereof, which has or which may in the future be adopted by the district, including, but not limited to, the name “Golden Gate Bridge,” for the purpose of manufacturing, advertising, or selling equipment or merchandise, or for the purpose of advertising and selling services, or to promote any activity in which the district may engage, which use has a tendency to cause confusion, mistake, or deception with the district as to the origin of goods or services, or has a tendency to falsely represent or suggest an association or connection with the district or any district activity, shall be subject to a civil action by the district, for an injunction, and (1) defendant's profits, (2) any damages sustained by the district, and (3) the costs of the action.  In the court's assessment of profits, the district shall be required to prove the defendant's sales only, and the defendant shall prove all elements of costs or deduction claimed.  In the court's assessment of damages, the court may enter judgment according to the circumstances of the case, for any sum above the amount found as actual damages, not exceeding three times that amount.  If the court shall find that the amount of the recovery based on profits is either inadequate or excessive, the court may, in its discretion, enter judgment for such sum as the court shall find to be just, according to the circumstances of the case, and may award reasonable attorneys' fees to the prevailing party.  Nothing in this section shall interfere with the vested rights of any person in any name, word, mark, symbol, or device.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.