Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(2) If the federal fuel tax is reduced below the rate of nine cents ($0.09) per gallon and federal financial allocations to this state for highway and exclusive public mass transit guideway purposes are reduced or eliminated correspondingly, the tax rate imposed by paragraph (1), on and after the date of the reduction, shall be recalculated by an amount so that the combined state rate under paragraph (1) and the federal tax rate per gallon equal twenty-seven cents ($0.27).
(3) If any person or entity is exempt or partially exempt from the federal fuel tax at the time of a reduction, the person or entity shall continue to be so exempt under this section.
(b)(1) On and after July 1, 2010, in addition to the tax imposed by subdivision (a), a tax is hereby imposed upon each gallon of motor vehicle fuel, other than aviation gasoline, subject to the tax in Sections 7362 , 7363 , and 7364 in an amount equal to seventeen and three-tenths cents ($0.173) per gallon.
(2) For the 2011-12 fiscal year and each fiscal year thereafter, the board shall, on or before March 1 of the fiscal year immediately preceding the applicable fiscal year, adjust the rate in paragraph (1) in that manner as to generate an amount of revenue that will equal the amount of revenue loss attributable to the exemption provided by Section 6357.7 , based on estimates made by the board, and that rate shall be effective during the state's next fiscal year.
(3) In order to maintain revenue neutrality for each year, beginning with the rate adjustment on or before March 1, 2012, the adjustment under paragraph (2) shall also take into account the extent to which the actual amount of revenues derived pursuant to this subdivision and, as applicable, Section 7361.1 , the revenue loss attributable to the exemption provided by Section 6357.7 resulted in a net revenue gain or loss for the fiscal year ending prior to the rate adjustment date on or before March 1.
(4) The intent of paragraphs (2) and (3) is to ensure that the act 1 adding this subdivision and Section 6357.7 does not produce a net revenue gain in state taxes.
(5) Commencing July 1, 2019, the adjustments in paragraphs (2) and (3) shall cease, and the rate imposed by this subdivision shall be the rate in paragraph (1).
(c) On and after November 1, 2017, in addition to the taxes imposed by subdivisions (a) and (b), a tax is hereby imposed upon each gallon of motor vehicle fuel, other than aviation gasoline, subject to the tax in Sections 7362 , 7363 , and 7364 , in an amount equal to twelve cents ($0.12) per gallon.
(d) On July 1, 2020, and every July 1 thereafter, the board shall adjust the taxes imposed by subdivisions (a), (b), and (c), with the adjustment to apply to both to the base tax rates specified in those provisions and to any previous adjustment in rates made pursuant to this subdivision, by increasing the taxes by a percentage amount equal to the increase in the California Consumer Price Index, as calculated by the Department of Finance with the resulting taxes rounded to the nearest one-tenth of one cent ($0.01). The first adjustment pursuant to this subdivision shall be a percentage amount equal to the increase in the California Consumer Price Index from November 1, 2017, to November 1, 2019. Subsequent annual adjustments shall cover subsequent 12 month periods. The incremental change shall be added to the associated rate for that year.
(e) Any increases to the taxes imposed under subdivisions (a), (b), and (c) that are enacted by legislation subsequent to July 1, 2017, shall be deemed to be changes to the base tax rates for purposes of the California Consumer Price Index calculation and adjustment performed pursuant to subdivision (d).
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - California Code, Revenue and Taxation Code - RTC § 7360 - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/revenue-and-taxation-code/rtc-sect-7360.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.