Skip to main content

California Code, Public Resources Code - PRC § 4676

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) The director may authorize any work for any purpose authorized by Section 4675 as an exercise of the director's emergency powers and may request the assistance of any federal agency or person in connection with that work if any of the following conditions exist:

(1) Natural vegetative cover has been denuded to the extent that precipitation may create floods and serious soil depletion and erosion.

(2) The denuded area is of a size, and the topography and soil characteristics of such a nature, that soil loss and floods will have a significant effect upon watershed values and the public health, safety, or welfare.

(3) Vegetative cover will not be restored by natural means in time to effectively prevent undue erosion and flood runoff.

(4) Woody plants and debris within or adjacent to the watercourse channels in or directly downstream from the denuded areas will significantly impede flood runoff or accelerate channel scour. Prior to commencing any work in response to this condition, the director shall advise the Director of Fish and Game of the proposed work.

(b) The expenditure of state funds for emergency work authorized under subdivision (a) shall be limited to lands classified as a state responsibility area pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 4125) of Chapter 1. Any contract for emergency work affecting both a state responsibility area and nonclassified lands shall require that the cost of the work be shared proportionately between the department and the other responsible federal agency or person, as defined in Section 4101.

Cite this article: - California Code, Public Resources Code - PRC § 4676 - last updated January 01, 2019 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard