(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, a person is not competent to act as personal representative in any of the following circumstances:
(1) The person is under the age of majority.
(2) The person is subject to a conservatorship of the estate or is otherwise incapable of executing, or is otherwise unfit to execute, the duties of the office.
(3) There are grounds for removal of the person from office under Section 8502 .
(4) The person is not a resident of the United States.
(5) The person is a surviving business partner of the decedent and an interested person objects to the appointment.
(b) Paragraphs (4) and (5) of subdivision (a) do not apply to a person named as executor or successor executor in the decedent's will.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.