Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) The right of a surviving spouse to any of the following may be waived in whole or in part by a waiver under this chapter:
(1) Property that would pass from the decedent by intestate succession.
(2) Property that would pass from the decedent by testamentary disposition in a will executed before the waiver.
(3) A probate homestead.
(4) The right to have exempt property set aside.
(5) Family allowance.
(6) The right to have an estate set aside under Chapter 6 (commencing with Section 6600 ) of Part 3 of Division 6.
(7) The right to elect to take community or quasi-community property against the decedent's will.
(8) The right to take the statutory share of an omitted spouse.
(9) The right to be appointed as the personal representative of the decedent's estate.
(10) An interest in property that is the subject of a nonprobate transfer on death under Part 1 (commencing with Section 5000 ) of Division 5.
(b) Nothing in this chapter affects or limits the waiver or manner of waiver of rights other than those referred to in subdivision (a), including, but not limited to, the right to property that would pass from the decedent to the surviving spouse by nonprobate transfer upon the death of the decedent, such as the survivorship interest under a joint tenancy, a Totten trust account, or a pay-on-death account.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - California Code, Probate Code - PROB § 141 - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/probate-code/prob-sect-141.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.