(a) To collect money, receive tangible personal property, or have evidences of a debt, obligation, interest, right, security, or chose in action transferred under this chapter, an affidavit or a declaration under penalty of perjury under the laws of this state shall be furnished to the holder of the decedent's property stating all of the following:
(1) The decedent's name.
(2) The date and place of the decedent's death.
(3) “At least 40 days have elapsed since the death of the decedent, as shown in a certified copy of the decedent's death certificate attached to this affidavit or declaration.”
(4) Either of the following, as appropriate:
(A) “No proceeding is now being or has been conducted in California for administration of the decedent's estate.”
(B) “The decedent's personal representative has consented in writing to the payment, transfer, or delivery to the affiant or declarant of the property described in the affidavit or declaration.”
(5) “The current gross fair market value of the decedent's real and personal property in California, excluding the property described in Section 13050 of the California Probate Code , does not exceed one hundred fifty thousand dollars ($150,000).”
(6) A description of the property of the decedent that is to be paid, transferred, or delivered to the affiant or declarant.
(7) The name of the successor of the decedent (as defined in Section 13006 of the California Probate Code ) to the described property.
(8) Either of the following, as appropriate:
(A) “The affiant or declarant is the successor of the decedent (as defined in Section 13006 of the California Probate Code ) to the decedent's interest in the described property.”
(9) “No other person has a superior right to the interest of the decedent in the described property.”
(10) “The affiant or declarant requests that the described property be paid, delivered, or transferred to the affiant or declarant.”
(11) “The affiant or declarant affirms or declares under penalty of perjury under the laws of the State of California that the foregoing is true and correct.”
(b) Where more than one person executes the affidavit or declaration under this section, the statements required by subdivision (a) shall be modified as appropriate to reflect that fact.
(c) If the particular item of property to be transferred under this chapter is a debt or other obligation secured by a lien on real property and the instrument creating the lien has been recorded in the office of the county recorder of the county where the real property is located, the affidavit or declaration shall satisfy the requirements both of this section and of Section 13106.5 .
(d) A certified copy of the decedent's death certificate shall be attached to the affidavit or declaration.
(e) If the decedent's personal representative has consented to the payment, transfer, or delivery of the described property to the affiant or declarant, a copy of the consent and of the personal representative's letters shall be attached to the affidavit or declaration.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.