Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) For the purpose of this section, a habitual sexual offender is a person who has been previously convicted of one or more of the offenses specified in subdivision (c) and who is convicted in the present proceeding of one of those offenses.
(b) A habitual sexual offender shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for 25 years to life.
(c) This section shall apply to any of the following offenses:
(3) Rape, spousal rape, or sexual penetration, in concert, in violation of Section 264.1 .
(6) Continuous sexual abuse of a child, in violation of Section 288.5 .
(9) Kidnapping, in violation of subdivision (b) of Section 207 .
(10) Kidnapping, in violation of former subdivision (d) of Section 208 (kidnapping to commit specified sex offenses).
(11) Kidnapping, in violation of subdivision (b) of Section 209 with the intent to commit a specified sexual offense.
(12) Aggravated sexual assault of a child, in violation of Section 269 .
(13) An offense committed in another jurisdiction that includes all of the elements of an offense specified in this subdivision.
(d) Notwithstanding Section 1385 or any other provision of law, the court shall not strike any allegation, admission, or finding of any prior conviction specified in subdivision (c) for any person who is subject to punishment under this section.
(e) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, probation shall not be granted to, nor shall the execution or imposition of sentence be suspended for, any person who is subject to punishment under this section.
(f) This section shall apply only if the defendant's status as a habitual sexual offender is alleged in the accusatory pleading, and either admitted by the defendant in open court, or found to be true by the trier of fact.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - California Code, Penal Code - PEN § 667.71 - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/penal-code/pen-sect-667-71.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.