California Code, Penal Code - PEN § 16780
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search California Codes
Search by Keyword or Citation
As used in this part:
(a) “Less lethal weapon” means any device that is designed to or that has been converted to expel or propel less lethal ammunition by any action, mechanism, or process for the purpose of incapacitating, immobilizing, or stunning a human being through the infliction of any less than lethal impairment of physical condition, function, or senses, including physical pain or discomfort. It is not necessary that a weapon leave any lasting or permanent incapacitation, discomfort, pain, or other injury or disability in order to qualify as a less lethal weapon.
(b) Less lethal weapon includes the frame or receiver of any weapon described in subdivision (a), but does not include any of the following unless the part or weapon has been converted as described in subdivision (a):
(1) Pistol, revolver, or firearm.
(3) Rifle or shotgun using fixed ammunition consisting of standard primer and powder and not capable of being concealed upon the person.
(4) A pistol, rifle, or shotgun that is a firearm having a barrel less than 0.18 inches in diameter and that is designed to expel a projectile by any mechanical means or by compressed air or gas.
(5) When used as designed or intended by the manufacturer, any weapon that is commonly regarded as a toy gun, and that as a toy gun is incapable of inflicting any impairment of physical condition, function, or senses.
(6) A destructive device.
(7) A tear gas weapon.
(8) A bow or crossbow designed to shoot arrows.
(9) A device commonly known as a slingshot.
(10) A device designed for the firing of stud cartridges, explosive rivets, or similar industrial ammunition.
(11) A device designed for signaling, illumination, or safety.
(12) An assault weapon.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - California Code, Penal Code - PEN § 16780 - last updated January 01, 2023 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/penal-code/pen-sect-16780.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?