Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) This chapter shall apply whenever a case is before any court upon an accusatory pleading concerning the commission of a misdemeanor, except a misdemeanor specified in subdivision (b), and it appears to the court that all of the following apply to the defendant:
(1) The defendant's record does not indicate that probation or parole has ever been revoked without thereafter being completed.
(2) The defendant's record does not indicate that he has been diverted pursuant to this chapter within five years prior to the filing of the accusatory pleading which charges the divertible offense.
(3) The defendant has never been convicted of a felony, and has not been convicted of a misdemeanor within five years prior to the filing of the accusatory pleading which charges the divertible offense.
(b) This chapter shall not apply to any pretrial diversion or posttrial program otherwise established by this code, nor shall this chapter be deemed to authorize any pretrial diversion or posttrial program for any person alleged to have committed a violation of Section 23152 or 23153 of the Vehicle Code .
(c) This chapter shall not apply whenever the accusatory pleading charges the commission of a misdemeanor:
(1) For which incarceration would be mandatory upon conviction of the defendant.
(2) For which registration would be required pursuant to Section 290 upon conviction of the defendant.
(3) Which the magistrate determines shall be prosecuted as a misdemeanor pursuant to paragraph (5) of subdivision (b) of Section 17 .
(5) For which the granting of probation is prohibited.
(6) Which is a driving offense punishable as a misdemeanor pursuant to the Vehicle Code.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - California Code, Penal Code - PEN § 1001.51 - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/penal-code/pen-sect-1001-51.html)/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.