California Code, Labor Code - LAB § 96

The Labor Commissioner and his or her deputies and representatives authorized by him or her in writing shall, upon the filing of a claim therefor by an employee, or an employee representative authorized in writing by an employee, with the Labor Commissioner, take assignments of:

(a) Wage claims and incidental expense accounts and advances.

(b) Mechanics' and other liens of employees.

(c) Claims based on “stop orders” for wages and on bonds for labor.

(d) Claims for damages for misrepresentations of conditions of employment.

(e) Claims for unreturned bond money of employees.

(f) Claims for penalties for nonpayment of wages.

(g) Claims for the return of workers' tools in the illegal possession of another person.

(h) Claims for vacation pay, severance pay, or other compensation supplemental to a wage agreement.

(i) Awards for workers' compensation benefits in which the Workers' Compensation Appeals Board has found that the employer has failed to secure payment of compensation and where the award remains unpaid more than 10 days after having become final.

(j) Claims for loss of wages as the result of discharge from employment for the garnishment of wages.

(k) Claims for loss of wages as the result of demotion, suspension, or discharge from employment for lawful conduct occurring during nonworking hours away from the employer's premises.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard