California Code, Health and Safety Code - HSC § 1793.91

The provider shall set forth specific procedures for the resident to follow regarding relocation to the unit originally vacated, the selection of a new unit, and timeframes for making choices.  Procedures for returning the relocated resident when residential units will be ready for occupancy shall include all of the following:

(a) The provider shall provide the resident at least 60 days notice of the return to his or her unit or a substitute permanent unit, and subsequent notices 30 days and seven days prior to the return date.

(b) The resident shall have the right to return to his or her previously occupied unit or a unit comparable in services, size, features, and amenities to the unit originally vacated, without payment of any further entrance or accommodation fee.  The provider is not required to guarantee a specific unit.  Assignment of units shall be based upon the length of occupancy of returning residents.

(c) If the residential temporary relocation of a resident of a continuing care retirement community will exceed 18 months, the resident shall have all options allowed by Section 1793.82 , unless there is a written agreement between the affected resident and the provider as described in subdivision (d).

(d) If a provider determines that the period of residential temporary relocation, as defined in paragraph (8) of subdivision (r) of Section 1771 , will exceed 18 months, the provider may extend the period of residential temporary relocation for up to six months for an affected resident if that resident has agreed to the extension in writing.  The written agreement shall state that by signing, the resident waives all rights to relocation options offered in Section 1793.82 for the period of the extension.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.