Skip to main content

California Code, Health and Safety Code - HSC § 1568.021

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a)?If the applicant for a license for a residential care facility handles or will handle any money of a resident of the facility, the applicant or licensee shall file or have on file with the department a bond issued by a surety company admitted to do business in this state in a sum to be fixed by the department based upon the magnitude of the operations of the applicant or licensee, but which sum shall not be less than one thousand dollars ($1,000), running to the State of California and conditioned upon his or her faithful and honest handling of the money of residents of the facility.

(b)?The failure of any licensee under this chapter to maintain on file with the department a bond in the amount prescribed by the department or the embezzlement by a licensee of trust funds of a resident of the facility shall constitute cause for the revocation of the license.

(c)?This section shall not apply if the licensee handles moneys of residents of the facility in amounts less than fifty dollars ($50) per person and less than five hundred dollars ($500) for all persons in any month.

(d)?The director may grant a partial or total variance from the requirements of this section if the director finds that compliance with them is so onerous that a residential care facility will cease to operate, and if the director also finds that money of the residents received or cared for in the facility has been, or will be, deposited in a bank in this state, in a trust company authorized to transact a trust business in this state, or in a savings and loan association in this state, upon condition that the money may not be withdrawn except on authorization of the person or a representative who is legally authorized to make financial decisions on behalf of the person.

Cite this article: - California Code, Health and Safety Code - HSC § 1568.021 - last updated January 01, 2019 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard