California Code, Harbors and Navigation Code - HNC § 678.15
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search California Codes
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) A violation of this article is an infraction.
(b) A person convicted of an infraction for a violation of this article shall be punished as follows:
(1) For an initial conviction, by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars ($100).
(2) For a second conviction, by a fine of not more than two hundred fifty dollars ($250).
(3) For a third or subsequent conviction, by a fine of not more than five hundred dollars ($500).
(c) A fine imposed on a vessel operator pursuant to subdivision (b) shall be waived, if the vessel operator provides proof that he or she had a valid vessel operator card at the time of the citation.
(d)(1) In addition to the fines imposed by subdivision (b), the court shall order a person convicted of violating this article to complete and pass a boating safety course approved by the division pursuant to Section 668.3.
(2) If a person who is ordered to complete and pass a boating safety course pursuant to paragraph (1) is 18 years of age or younger, the court may require that person to obtain the consent of a parent or guardian to enroll in that course.
(3) A person who has been ordered by a court to complete a boating safety course pursuant to paragraph (1) shall submit to the court proof of completion and passage of the course within seven months of the date of his or her conviction. The proof shall be in a form that has been approved by the division and that is capable of being submitted to the court or a state or local agency approved by the division through the United States Postal Service or another certified means of transmission.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - California Code, Harbors and Navigation Code - HNC § 678.15 - last updated January 01, 2023 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/harbors-and-navigation-code/hnc-sect-678-15.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?