Skip to main content

California Code, Government Code - GOV § 6040.1

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) Notwithstanding Section 6040, notice shall be given of ordinances enacted to authorize issuance of revenue bonds by joint powers entities and the fact that such ordinance is subject to referendum. All such notices shall meet the following requirements:

(1) Notices shall appear for five consecutive days in at least one daily newspaper of general circulation published in the affected area; and if no such daily publication exists, then at least twice in the weekly newspapers of the area; and if there are no such weekly newspapers, then notice shall be posted for no less than two weeks in at least 15 public places; and

(2) Notices shall state the fact that the ordinance is subject to referendum in no smaller than 10-point type, and describe the procedures for such referendum in no smaller than 8-point type; and

(3) Notices shall describe in no smaller than 8-point type the nature and purpose of the bond issue, the maximum amount of the bond issue, the duration of the proposed indebtedness, the probable or anticipated rate of interest on such bonds, and the anticipated sources of revenue to redeem such bonds; and

(4) Notices shall be of sufficient size to contain the information required by paragraphs (2) and (3).

(b) The cost of such notice shall be borne by the party to the joint powers entity which approves the ordinance, and may be included as part of the cost of the bond issue, to be paid by revenues from the bond issue.

Cite this article: - California Code, Government Code - GOV § 6040.1 - last updated January 01, 2023 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard