Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) A child, the child's natural mother, a person presumed to be the child's parent under subdivision (a) , (b) , or (c) of Section 7611 , a person seeking to be adjudicated as a parent or donor under Section 7613 , an adoption agency to whom the child has been relinquished, or a prospective adoptive parent of the child may bring an action as follows:
(1) At any time for the purpose of declaring the existence of the parent and child relationship presumed under subdivision (a) , (b) , or (c) of Section 7611 , or established pursuant to Section 7613 .
(2) For the purpose of declaring the nonexistence of the parent and child relationship presumed under subdivision (a) , (b) , or (c) of Section 7611 only if the action is brought within a reasonable time after obtaining knowledge of relevant facts. After the presumption has been rebutted, parentage of the child by another person may be determined in the same action, if that person has been made a party.
(3) At any time for the purpose of declaring the nonexistence of the parent and child relationship of a donor under Section 7613 .
(b) Any interested party may bring an action at any time for the purpose of determining the existence or nonexistence of the parent and child relationship presumed under subdivision (d) or (f) of Section 7611 .
(c) Except as to cases coming within Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 7540 ) of Part 2 or when paragraph (2) of subdivision (a) applies, an action to determine parentage may be brought by the child, a personal representative of the child, the Department of Child Support Services, a presumed parent or the personal representative or a parent of that presumed parent if that parent has died or is a minor, or, in cases in which the natural mother is the only presumed parent or an action under Section 300 of the Welfare and Institutions Code or adoption is pending, a man alleged or alleging himself to be the father or the personal representative or a parent of the alleged father if the alleged father has died or is a minor.
(d)(1) If a proceeding has been filed under Chapter 2 (commencing with Section 7820 ) of Part 4, an action under subdivision (a) or (b) shall be consolidated with that proceeding. The parental rights of the presumed parent shall be determined as set forth in Sections 7820 to 7829 , inclusive.
(2) If a proceeding pursuant to Section 7662 has been filed under Chapter 5 (commencing with Section 7660 ), an action under subdivision (c) shall be consolidated with that proceeding. The parental rights of the alleged father shall be determined as set forth in Section 7664 .
(3) The consolidated action under paragraph (1) or (2) shall be heard in the court in which the proceeding under Section 7662 or Chapter 2 (commencing with Section 7820 ) of Part 4 is filed, unless the court finds, by clear and convincing evidence, that transferring the action to the other court poses a substantial hardship to the petitioner. Mere inconvenience does not constitute a sufficient basis for a finding of substantial hardship. If the court determines there is a substantial hardship, the consolidated action shall be heard in the court in which the parentage action is filed.
(e)(1) If any prospective adoptive parent who has physical custody of the child, any licensed California adoption agency that has legal custody of the child or to which the mother proposes to relinquish the child for adoption, or any person whom the mother has designated as the prospective adoptive parent in a written statement executed before a hospital social worker, an adoption service provider, an adoption agency representative, or a notary public, has not been joined as a party to an action to determine the existence of a parent and child relationship under subdivision (a), (b), or (c), or an action for custody by a person claiming to be a parent under this division, the court shall join the prospective adoptive parent or licensed California adoption agency as a party upon application or on its own motion, without the necessity of a motion for joinder. A joined party shall not be required to pay a fee in connection with this action.
(2) If a person brings an action to determine parentage and custody of a child who he or she has reason to believe is in the physical or legal custody of an adoption agency, or of one or more persons other than the child's parent who are prospective adoptive parents, he or she shall serve his or her entire pleading on, and give notice of all proceedings to, the adoption agency or the prospective adoptive parents, or both.
(f) A party to an assisted reproduction agreement may bring an action at any time to establish a parent and child relationship consistent with the intent expressed in that assisted reproduction agreement.
(g)(1) In an action to determine the existence of the parent and child relationship brought pursuant to subdivision (b), if the child's other parent has died and there are no existing court orders or pending court actions involving custody or guardianship of the child, then the persons having physical custody of the child shall be served with notice of the proceeding at least 15 days prior to the hearing, either by mail or in any manner authorized by the court. If any person identified as having physical custody of the child cannot be located, the court shall prescribe the manner of giving notice.
(2) If known to the person bringing the parentage action, relatives within the second degree of the child shall be given notice of the proceeding at least 15 days prior to the hearing, either by mail or in any manner authorized by the court. If a person identified as a relative of the second degree of the child cannot be located, or his or her whereabouts are unknown or cannot be ascertained, the court shall prescribe the manner of giving notice, or shall dispense with giving notice to that person.
(3) Proof of notice pursuant to this subdivision shall be filed with the court before the proceeding to determine the existence of the parent and child relationship is heard.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - California Code, Family Code - FAM § 7630 - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/family-code/fam-sect-7630.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.