California Code, Family Code - FAM § 402

In addition to the persons permitted to solemnize marriages under Section 400 , a county may license officials of a nonprofit religious institution, whose articles of incorporation are registered with the Secretary of State, to solemnize the marriages of persons who are affiliated with or are members of the religious institution.  The licensee shall possess the degree of doctor of philosophy and must perform religious services or rites for the institution on a regular basis.  The marriages shall be performed without fee to the parties.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard