(a) On and after July 1, 2010, the school district shall provide an information sheet regarding type 2 diabetes to the parent or guardian of incoming 7th grade pupils. The information sheet may be provided to the parent or guardian of incoming 7th graders with the information provided pursuant to Section 48980 . The information sheet shall include, but shall not be limited to, all of the following:
(1) A description of type 2 diabetes.
(2) A description of the risk factors and warning signs associated with type 2 diabetes.
(3) A recommendation that pupils displaying or possibly suffering from risk factors or warning signs associated with type 2 diabetes should be screened for type 2 diabetes.
(4) A description of treatments and prevention methods of type 2 diabetes.
(5) A description of the different types of diabetes screening tests available.
(b) The information sheet shall be developed by the State Department of Education in coordination with any other entity the department deems appropriate. The information sheet shall be made available to each school district through the State Department of Education's Web site and any other Web site the department deems appropriate, as well as by providing written copies of the information sheet to the school district upon written request to the department.
(c) It is the intent of the Legislature that school districts, to the extent that resources or funds, or both, are available, provide information to parents regarding locations at which parents may receive diabetes screening and education services at free or reduced costs from public or private sources.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.