(a) The department shall exercise general supervision over the courses of physical education in elementary and secondary schools of the state; advise school officials, school boards, and teachers in the development and improvement of their physical education and activity programs; and investigate the work in physical education in the public schools.
(b) The department shall ensure that the data collected through the categorical program monitoring indicates the extent to which each school within the jurisdiction of a school district or county office of education does all of the following that are applicable to the school:
(1) Provides instruction in physical education for a total period of time of not less than 200 minutes each 10 schooldays to pupils in grades 1 to 6, inclusive, as required pursuant to subdivision (g) of Section 51210 .
(2) Provides instruction in physical education for a total period of time of not less than 400 minutes each 10 schooldays to pupils in grades 7 to 12, inclusive, as required pursuant to subdivision (a) of Section 51222 .
(3) Provides instruction in physical education for a total period of time of not less than 200 minutes each 10 schooldays to pupils in an elementary school maintaining grades 1 to 8, inclusive, as required pursuant to Section 51233 .
(4) Conducts physical fitness testing of pupils as required pursuant to Chapter 6 (commencing with Section 60800 ) of Part 33.
(5) Includes the results of physical fitness testing of pupils in the school accountability report card as required pursuant to subparagraph (C) of paragraph (1) of subdivision (b) of Section 33126 .
(6) Offers pupils exempted from required attendance in physical education courses pursuant to paragraph (1) of either subdivision (b) or (c) of Section 51241 a variety of elective physical education courses of not less than 400 minutes every 10 schooldays.
(7) Provides a course of study in physical education to pupils in any of grades 9 to 12, inclusive, that includes a developmentally appropriate sequence of instruction, including the effects of physical activity upon dynamic health, the mechanics of body movement, aquatics, gymnastics and tumbling, individual and dual sports, rhythms and dance, team sports, and combatives.
(8) Provides instruction in physical education to pupils that provides equal opportunities for participation regardless of gender.
(9) Provides instruction in physical education to pupils in any of grades 1 to 12, inclusive, by physical education teachers who hold appropriate teaching credentials issued by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
(c) The department annually shall do both of the following:
(1) Submit a report to the Governor and the Legislature that summarizes the data collected through categorical program monitoring regarding the items described in paragraphs (1) to (9), inclusive, of subdivision (b).
(2) Post a summary of the data collected through categorical program monitoring regarding the items described in paragraphs (1) to (9), inclusive, of subdivision (b) on the Internet Web site of the department.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.