(a) Any one or more of the following who suffers any damage proximately resulting from one or more acts of unlawful motor vehicle subleasing, as described in Chapter 12.7 (commencing with Section 570) of Title 13 of Part 1 of the Penal Code , may bring an action against the person who has engaged in those acts:
(1) A seller or other secured party under a conditional sale contract or a security agreement.
(2) A lender under a direct loan agreement.
(3) A lessor under a lease contract.
(4) A buyer under a conditional sale contract.
(5) A purchaser under a direct loan agreement, an agreement which provides for a security interest, or an agreement which is equivalent to these types of agreements.
(6) A lessee under a lease contract.
(7) An actual or purported transferee or assignee of any right or interest of a buyer, a purchaser, or a lessee.
(b) The court in an action under subdivision (a) may award actual damages; equitable relief, including, but not limited to, an injunction and restitution of money and property; punitive damages; reasonable attorney's fees and costs; and any other relief which the court deems proper.
(c) As used in this section, the following terms have the following meanings:
(1) “Buyer” has the meaning set forth in subdivision (c) of Section 2981 .
(2) “Conditional sale contract” has the meaning set forth in subdivision (a) of Section 2981 . Notwithstanding subdivision (k) of Section 2981 , “conditional sale contract” includes any contract for the sale or bailment of a motor vehicle between a buyer and a seller primarily for business or commercial purposes.
(3) “Direct loan agreement” means an agreement between a lender and a purchaser whereby the lender has advanced funds pursuant to a loan secured by the motor vehicle which the purchaser has purchased.
(4) “Lease contract” means a lease contract between a lessor and lessee as this term and these parties are defined in Section 2985.7 . Notwithstanding subdivision (d) of Section 2985.7 , “lease contract” includes a lease for business or commercial purposes.
(5) “Motor vehicle” means any vehicle required to be registered under the Vehicle Code.
(6) “Person” means an individual, company, firm, association, partnership, trust, corporation, limited liability company, or other legal entity.
(7) “Purchaser” has the meaning set forth in paragraph (30) of subdivision (b) of Section 1201 of the Commercial Code .
(8) “Security agreement” and “secured party” have the meanings set forth, respectively, in paragraphs (74) and (73) of subdivision (a) of Section 9102 of the Commercial Code . “Security interest” has the meaning set forth in paragraph (35) of subdivision (b) of Section 1201 of the Commercial Code .
(9) “Seller” has the meaning set forth in subdivision (b) of Section 2981 , and includes the present holder of the conditional sale contract.
(d) The rights and remedies provided in this section are in addition to any other rights and remedies provided by law.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.