(a)(1) Every funeral director shall provide to any person, upon beginning discussion of prices or of the funeral goods and services offered, a written or printed list containing, but not necessarily limited to, the price for professional services offered, that may include the funeral director's services, the preparation of the body, the use of facilities, and the use of automotive equipment. All services included in this price or prices shall be enumerated. The funeral director shall also provide a statement on that list that gives the price range for all caskets offered for sale.
(2) The list shall also include a statement indicating that the survivor of the deceased who is handling the funeral arrangements, or the responsible party, is entitled to receive, before the drafting of any contract, a copy of any preneed agreement that has been signed and paid for, in full or in part, by or on behalf of the deceased, and that is in the possession of the funeral establishment.
(3) The funeral director shall also provide a written statement or list that, at a minimum, specifically identifies a particular casket or caskets by price and by thickness of metal, or type of wood, or other construction, interior and color, in addition to other casket identification requirements under Part 453 of Title 16 of the Code of Federal Regulations and any subsequent version of this regulation, when a request for specific information on a casket or caskets is made in person by an individual. Prices of caskets and other identifying features such as thickness of metal, or type of wood, or other construction, interior and color, in addition to other casket identification requirements required to be given over the telephone by Part 453 of Title 16 of the Code of Federal Regulations and any subsequent version of this regulation, shall be provided over the telephone, if requested.
(b)(1) Each licensed funeral establishment that maintains an Internet Web site shall post on its Internet Web site the list of funeral goods and services that are required to be included in the establishment's general price list, pursuant to federal rule, and a statement that the general price list is available upon request.
(2) Information posted pursuant to paragraph (1) shall be provided by a link from the Internet Web site homepage with a word or combination of words, including, but not limited to, “goods,” “merchandise,” “products,” or “services.”
(3) An establishment that posts on its Internet Web site homepage the words “price information” or a similar phrase that includes the word “price,” with a link that leads to the establishment's general price list, need not comply with paragraphs (1) or (2).
(4) This subdivision shall not be construed to affect an establishment's obligations under federal or state law effective before January 1, 2013.
(5) This subdivision shall become operative on January 1, 2013.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.