Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) No confidential information obtained by a tax preparer, in his or her professional capacity, concerning a client or a prospective client shall be disclosed by the tax preparer without the written permission of the client or prospective client, except for the following:
(1) Disclosures made by a tax preparer in compliance with a subpoena or a summons enforceable by order of a court.
(2) Disclosures made by a tax preparer regarding a client or prospective client to the extent the tax preparer reasonably believes it is necessary to maintain or defend himself or herself in a legal proceeding initiated by the client or prospective client.
(3) Disclosures made by a tax preparer in response to an official inquiry from a federal or state government regulatory agency.
(4) Disclosures made by a tax preparer or to a tax preparer's duly authorized representative to another tax preparer in connection with a proposed sale or merger of the tax preparer's professional practice.
(5) Disclosures made by a tax preparer to either of the following:
(A) Another tax preparer to the extent necessary for purposes of professional consultation.
(B) Organizations that provide professional standards review and ethics or quality control peer review.
(6) Disclosures made when specifically required by law.
(b) In the event that confidential client information may be disclosed to persons or entities outside the United States of America in connection with the services provided, the tax preparer shall inform the client in writing and obtain the client's written permission for the disclosure.
(c) It is the intent of the Legislature that this section complement and does not replace Section 17530.5 as applied to tax preparers by subdivision (f) of Section 1799.1a of the Civil Code.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - California Code, Business and Professions Code - BPC § 22252.1 - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/business-and-professions-code/bpc-sect-22252-1.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.