Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
For the purposes of this article, the following definitions shall apply:
(a) “Automatic renewal” means a plan or arrangement in which a paid subscription or purchasing agreement is automatically renewed at the end of a definite term for a subsequent term.
(b) “Automatic renewal offer terms” means the following clear and conspicuous disclosures:
(1) That the subscription or purchasing agreement will continue until the consumer cancels.
(2) The description of the cancellation policy that applies to the offer.
(3) The recurring charges that will be charged to the consumer's credit or debit card or payment account with a third party as part of the automatic renewal plan or arrangement, and that the amount of the charge may change, if that is the case, and the amount to which the charge will change, if known.
(4) The length of the automatic renewal term or that the service is continuous, unless the length of the term is chosen by the consumer.
(5) The minimum purchase obligation, if any.
(c) “Clear and conspicuous” or “clearly and conspicuously” means in larger type than the surrounding text, or in contrasting type, font, or color to the surrounding text of the same size, or set off from the surrounding text of the same size by symbols or other marks, in a manner that clearly calls attention to the language. In the case of an audio disclosure, “clear and conspicuous” and “clearly and conspicuously” means in a volume and cadence sufficient to be readily audible and understandable.
(d) “Consumer” means any individual who seeks or acquires, by purchase or lease, any goods, services, money, or credit for personal, family, or household purposes.
(e) “Continuous service” means a plan or arrangement in which a subscription or purchasing agreement continues until the consumer cancels the service.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - California Code, Business and Professions Code - BPC § 17601 - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/business-and-professions-code/bpc-sect-17601.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.